HR - Correcting FLSA Status for Hourly Employees
This document identifies which employees should have an FLSA status of NON-EXEMPT, how to correct the FLSA status when it is incorrect, and how to run the FLSA audit report. If an hourly employee is unable to enter time in Time & Labor, check the FLSA status.
Hourly employees are paid for the hours worked as recorded through the Time & Labor system.
The FLSA status in HRS is defined on the Job Code table. For FA/AS/LI (unclassified) Job Codes, the default FLSA status is EXEMPT. The Pay Basis for the majority of FA/AS/LI (unclassified) employees is either Annual or Academic. In a limited number of cases, it is appropriate to pay these employees using an hourly Pay Basis. The FLSA status will default to EXEMPT when the job code on the position is entered. For FA/AS/LI (unclassified hourly), the FLSA status will need to be changed to NON-EXEMPT on the Position and then on the Job.
For University Staff (classified) Job Codes that are identified with a Mixed FLSA Status, meaning they can be either EXEMPT or NON-EXEMPT, these default to NON-EXEMPT. The FLSA Status for employees in the mixed Job Codes who meet the criteria for EXEMPT FLSA Status must be changed from NON-EXEMPT to EXEMPT on the Position and then on the Job
If the Job Code is changed, the FLSA Status will reset to the default value and must be changed again, if appropriate.
QUERY – The FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Hourly Audit (UW_HR_UNCLS_HOURLY_EXMPT_AUDIT) will be run nightly to identify the mismatched FLSA/Pay Basis records.
Reporting Tools>Query>-Query Viewer
Rerun the FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Hourly Audit Report which should now be empty.
The FLSA status needs to be changed on the Position. Changing the FLSA status will require Correction access to the Position Data Page. If the FLSA status is changed only on the job data row using correction instead of on the position, the Time and Labor enrollment process will not pick up the employee. The employee will not be enrolled in the Time and Labor system and will not be able to enter time.
If there are rows added to the job data page after the initial row with the incorrect FLSA value, then these rows will also need to be updated with the correct value.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- Run the UW_HR_UNCLS_HOURLY_EXMPT_AUDIT query to identify FA/AS/LI (unclassified) employees with hourly Pay Basis and Exempt FLSA status. Employee Classification not equal to 'CP','CJ','CL','SH'.
- Review the report. Employees with FLSA Status of "E" and Pay Basis of "H" are invalid.
- Using the position number listed on the report, navigate to Position, Organizational Development>Position Management>Positions/Budgets> - Add/Update Position Info. Using correction history, change the FLSA status to NON-EXEMPT. (Because this change is made in correction mode, the incumbent job data record will not be updated.)
- On the first tab "Description" click on the USA flag at the bottom of the page to view the FLSA Status field. Click on the drop down and select Non-Exempt.
- On the second tab "Specific Information" Check the Update Incumbents check box.
- Navigate to the Job Data Page Workforce Management>Job Information>Job Data and select Include History. On the Work Location tab NOTE the effective date of the row which should contain the position number being corrected.
- On the Job Information tab NOTE at the bottom of the page under the USA flag the FLSA status is shown. This is the status that was on the row when the job was first created.
- To update the FLSA Status to the new Non-Exempt status, go back to the Work Location and add a new row. Enter the effective date of the original row, in the example 09/30/2010 is used. Enter "1" in the sequence. Select the Action of "Position Change" and the Reason of "Change FLSA Status".
- Highlight the position number and cut the value (Crtl X) then use the tab key to tab out of the field.
- This will "open" all the fields related to the position on the job data page as shown on the Work Location and the job information tabs.
- Click in the Position number field and Paste (Ctrl V) the position number back into the field.
- Tab out of the position number using the tab key. The new position values are refreshed as shown below on the Work Location and the job information tabs.
Run the Query
Review the Report
Change the FLSA Status to Nonexempt on Position
Check Update Incumbent check box
Steps 10 - 11
- Monitoring Pay Basis, Pay Components Frequency and Compensation Frequency (Document will be available in the Future)
- Adding new effective dated row (Document will be available in the Future)
- HR - Add a Concurrent Job (Non-Madison)
- HR - Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited Appointment (FA/AS/LI) (Unclassified) Hourly Jobs
- HR - Change Position Data
|NOTE: If the FLSA status is not correct the employee can not be enrolled in Time & Labor to record time.|