HR - Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited Appointment (FA/AS/LI) (Unclassified) Hourly Jobs
This document describes how to create a position for an FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Hourly job. FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) employees are generally paid monthly, however if the number of hours to be worked is inconsistent, then an hourly pay basis may be appropriate. The default FLSA value for FA/AS/LI (unclassified) job codes is EXEMPT. The steps to update the FLSA status are contained below.
- This document does not apply to UW-Madison and is intended for users from other UW campuses. UW-Madison users should refer to documentation intended for their campus.
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status for hourly employees should always be NON-EXEMPT. Hourly employees are paid for the hours worked as recorded through the Time & Labor system. If the FLSA status is set to EXEMPT, then the employee will not be enrolled in Time and Labor and will not be able to enter time.
The FLSA status in HRS is defined on the Job Code Table. The default setting for University Staff (classified) Job Codes may be EXEMPT, NON EXEMPT OR MIXED. For FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) job codes the default is always EXEMPT. For the mixed titles, the default is NON-EXEMPT. The Pay Basis for the majority of FA/AS/LI (unclassified) employees is either Annual (A) or Academic (C) or Lump (L). In some cases, it is appropriate to pay employees using an Hourly (H) Pay Basis. The FLSA status will default to EXEMPT when the job code on the position is entered. For FA/AS/LI (unclassified) hourly, the FLSA status will need to be changed to NON EXEMPT.
- Create a Position form
- Required approvals
- Position number (auto generated)
- Delivered reports
- Time and Labor set up
This process applies to FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Job Codes (alphas prefix) only. The FLSA status defaults to Exempt for all FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) Job Codes. If the FLSA status is not correct the employee will not be able to record time via Time & Labor.
Exceptions (including first-year considerations):
This process does not apply to University Staff (classified) or student hourly jobs that will automatically be paid on an hourly pay basis. Employees with $0 appointments converted from legacy default to non-exempt.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- Follow the steps to HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison) with these specific attributes:
- Enter the appropriate <<Job Code>> (You may search by Job Code or Job Code Description in the search function. Note: University Staff (Classified) and student help Job Codes are numeric and FA/AS/LI (unclassified) Job Codes are alpha-numeric, e.g., Job Codes beginning with "C" are faculty; Job Codes beginning with "D" are instructional staff; those beginning with "E" are research staff). For this process you should be using an alpha numeric job code.
- Enter the appropriate <<Employee Class>> (see HR - Empl Class Overview for definition) In most cases the choices for Empl Class will default based on Job Code.
- Click on the <<Pay Basis>> drop down list and choose Hourly. (Using an hourly Pay Basis for FA/AS/LI (unclassified) is not common.).
- Select the appropriate <<Standard Hours>> for the position which should be 0.01 for an hourly Pay Basis.
- FTE will default based on Standard hours field to 0.000250.
- Click on the arrow next to the USA Flag
- Click on the drop down for the FLSA Status and select Nonexempt.
- Click Save and record the position number or click on "Job Data" link on the third tab (Budget and Incumbents) to make a hire.
- HR - Create a Position in HRS (Non-Madison)
- HR - Empl Class Overview
- HR - Correcting FLSA Status for Hourly Employees
|NOTE: If the FLSA status is not correct the employee can not be enrolled in Time & Labor to record time.|