HR - Add Disability and Veterans Information
This procedure describes how to enter the disability and/or veterans status data for an employee.
General Description:This procedure will walk you through the steps of entering the disability and/or veteran status information that is obtained from the Employee Self-Identification Form used for reporting to the State of Wisconsin and the Federal Government.
- The State of Wisconsin Additional Fields section on the UW Personal Tab containing the disability and veteran's status fields requires a specific security role for update access. This role also includes the Disabled Veteran flag on Disabilities > Disability > USA Flag and the Military Discharge Date on Workforce Monitoring > Meet Regulatory Rqmts > Maintain Military Discharge Date.
Please note that the UW-Madison interface from JEMS will NOT update these fields. They will be entered directly into HRS on the Regional, UW Personal, Disabilities and Maintain Military Discharge Date pages.Exceptions:
- The Military Status values will be updated when the VETS–100A online and report changes are applied.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
If you are not creating the Person Record but are only entering the information from the Employee Self–Identification Form, check to see if the Person ID exists in HRS following KB 15608. If the Person does not exist in HRS, check to see if the Person exists in EPM by following the steps in KB 17264.
1. Navigate to the Regional Tab:
- Workforce Administration>Personal Information>–Add a Person>~ Regional tab OR
- Workforce Administration>Personal Information>Modify a Person~ Regional tab
- Note: If you're updating an employee's existing record, you will need to add a new effective dated row in the History section.
- When adding a new employee in HRS, click on the appropriate Military Status from the drop–down list provided, based on the classifications such as Protected Veterans, Protected Veterans that Choose Not to Identify their Classifications, Veteran but Not Protected Veteran, and Not a Veteran.
Veteran Status Matrix
3. If the Discharge Date is entered on the Veterans Survey section of the Employee Self–Identification Form, enter the Military Discharge Date.
4. If the employee is a disabled veteran, navigate to the Disabilities page under the Veteran section to select this status (see Disability Status section below for further details).
Note: If the employee only indicates disabled veteran for their veterans status, then only the Disabilities page needs to be updated.
Military Discharge Date
5a. To enter or edit the Military Discharge date, click the Edit Discharge Date link (see screenshot above). A new tab will open when adding or updating the date.
5b. Enter the Military Discharge Date.
5c. Save the data.
Note: Alternate navigation for Military Discharge date is Workforce Monitoring>Meet Regulatory Rqmts>Maintain Military Discharge Date.
UW Personal Tab: State of WI Additional Fields
6. Enter Disabled status from the Disability Self–Identification section of the Employee Self–Identification Form and the Veterans statuses from the Veterans Survey section of the
Employee Self–Identification Form.
7. Navigate to the Disabilities Page:Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Disability > Disabilities
8. Enter the employee's Disabled status.
- If the person is hired through TAM and the individual discloses their disability status, the information will automatically populate if:
- The employee is a new hire
- If the employee already exists in HRS, TAM data will NOT overwrite HR (disability) data.
- If no HR disability data exists for the employee, then TAM will populate the disability fields.
- If the person is not hired through TAM, the HR administrator will enter in this information from page 2 on the UW W4 packet.
9. If the employee is a disabled veteran, check the Disabled Veteran checkbox under the Veteran section.
Related Policies, Jobaids, and Forms: