HR - Hire Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison)
This document is used for hiring LTEs, OT1 - OT6, and Student Help employees into Jobs that do not require a Position. If a campus chooses, they may choose to hire using Positions for these employment categories as well. UW-Madison uses a partner system called Job and Employee Management System (JEMS) which interfaces with HRS.
Before Hiring a Person into a Job, you should have completed the following:
- Search for a Person in HRS by following KB 15608 and if not found search for a Person in EPM by following KB 17264.
- If the Person does not already exist, follow the steps in KB 15739 to Add the Person record.
- If the Person already exists, verify all Person information is correct by Navigating to: Workforce Administration, Personal Information, Modify a Person, and enter the Empl ID. Update if needed. (Note: If the Organizational Relationship is a Person of Interest, you will need to inactivate this relationship before you can continue the hiring process by following the inactivation steps in KB 15636.)
From the HRS Main Menu, use navigation path: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > New Employment Instance
- Enter Empl ID
- Click Add Relationship
Job Data: Work Location Tab
a. Effective Date (defaults to today's date): The effective date of the job is the start date of the job. Note: this cannot be earlier than the effective date of the Person.
b. Job Indicator will default to "Primary Job". If this is the only active Job the employee has, this is appropriate. If the employee has multiple jobs, please review which Job should be marked as HR Primary. See HR - Updating HR Primary Indicator .
c. Click the RED Calculate Status and Dates Button.
d. The Action defaults to Hire, which is correct.
e. Enter the Reason for the Hire (example: Original/New Hire)
f. Enter the Expected Job End Date, if applicable (Jobs with Continuity Codes of 02A, 02B, 02C, 05A and 05B require an Expected Job End Date).
g. The Regulatory region will default to USA
h. Enter "UWS" in the Company field
i. Enter the appropriate value in Business Unit (institution)
j. Enter the appropriate value in Department
k. Enter the appropriate value in Location
l. Establishment ID will then default in.
Job Data: Job Information Tab
a. Job Code: Enter the appropriate Job Code, if known. if unknown, click on the data lookup icon and search for the job Code and click on the appropriate value in the drop down list.
b. Reports to: Optional - enter the Position number that the Supervisor of the position it in.
c. Seasonal?: Indicate if the employee is Seasonal (See KB 16762)
d. Empl Class (eg FA): Matches the selected Job Code. If the Empl Class field is blank, click on the drop-down arrow, and select the appropriate Empl Class code. For a list of Empl Class definitions refer to KB 15813
e. Full/Part Time: 100% is Full-Time and < 100% is Part-Time
f. Officer Code: Verify that the Officer Code has defaulted the correct value based on Job Code (See KB 16914)
g. Pay Basis: Pay Basis is the principle condition in terms of payment type and frequency, along with salary rate, which determines the compensation paid to an employee. Click on the drop-down arrow and select the appropriate Pay Basis. For a list of Pay Basis definitions refer to KB 29426
h. Standard Hours: Enter the number of hours the employee will work under the Standard Hours field. All Jobs in HRS are required to have a Standard Hours value of at least 0.01. Standard Hours of 0.01 is used for Students and LTEs and for Lump Sum pay basis appointments.
i. Verify that the FTE has calculated correctly based on Standard Hours. All Jobs in HRS are required to have an FTE of at least 0.00025. FTE of 0.00025 are used for Students and LTEs and for Lump Sum pay basis appointments.
j. Contract number: Optional - enter the contract number for this job. For more information on Contract Administration see KB 16620
Job Data: Job Labor Tab
a. All fields default if applicable. Verify that all values have defaulted correctly based on the Job Code entered.
Job Data: Payroll Tab
a. All fields default if applicable. Verify that values for Pay Group (KB 29890 & 26615) and Holiday Schedule have defaulted correctly based on Work Location and Job Information entered.Job Data: Salary Plan Tab
a. All fields default if applicable. Verify that all values have defaulted in based on Job Code selected.
Job Data: Compensation Tab
a. Click on the Default Pay Components button. This will default the Rate Code and the bottom Frequency, when the employee is initially hired. For monthly employees, this also calculates the top compensation
rate correctly based on FTE.
b. Verify the correct Rate Code populated based upon the employee's Pay Basis, reference HR - Comp Rate Frequency Job Aid.
c. Enter the Comp Rate.
d. Verify that the bottom Frequency populated correctly (reference HR - Comp Rate Frequency Job Aid)
e. Verify or edit the top Frequency. The top Frequency will populate correctly for employees with a Rate Code of NAHRLY, however all employees with a Rate Code of NAANNL will need to be changed to
either 9M or M based upon the employee's pay basis. (Reference HR - Comp Rate Frequency Job Aid)
f. Click the Calculate Compensation button.
g. Verify the Compensation Rate (in the top Compensation section) is correct.
Job Data: UW Custom Tab
a. Continuity: The Continuity Code is set based on the duration of the job as specified in the employee's contract. Click on the drop-down arrow and select the appropriate Continuity Code. For a list of Continuity
Code definitions refer to KB 16903.
b. Probation Type and Probation end Date: choose the correct probation type and fill in the probation end date. If there is not probation for the employee, you must choose "Not Required" as the value.
c. Under the Min: if the employee is an LTE and they are being hired under the minimum for their salary range, check the Under Min box.
d. Working Title: Official title will default, however a working title should be entered if applicable. The Working Title is often used for student positions to help them choose the correct job when completing their
e. Position of Trust: If this job is a position of trust you will need to add that after you save. See KB 29841
Job Data: UW Benefits Tab
- Enter the WRS Previous State and Local Service if known in months from 0 to 12. Maximum value is 12 months to coincide with the maximum number of months needed to qualify for the full employer share of premiums for Income Continuation Insurance for an FA/AS/LI (Unclassified) employee. Enter 12 for any employee with at least a minimum of 1 year of service.) A process will run nightly to auto-populate these fields with zeros for any employee who has not been previously covered under the WRS. Employees who have previous service will fall to the New Hire Hold report and require a manual look up on ETF's One Net system. Employees who have prior service cannot enroll for benefits using self-service.
- Enter the correct Benefit Service Date (first date the employee was eligible for the WRS under any state agency). This will ensure the employee receives the correct health insurance rates based on whether a waiting period is required. Employees are also given credit for prior service for applying for State Group Life and Income Continuation Insurance. If the employee has met the 6 month waiting period for SGL and ICI, those options will be available when an ADM Event is created.
- Enter a Yes or No value under the WRS Before July 1, 2011 field. This ensures the correct WRS requirements are used when determining WRS eligibility.
- The Rehired Annuitant field will default to No. If the employee is a Rehired Annuitant, enter the correct value from the drop down menu based on when they retired from a WRS eligible state agency.
- If the employee is visiting from another institution, enter a Yes value in this field, otherwise leave the default value of No.
- The Work Out of State Required field will default to No. Change this to yes if an employee is required to work out of state as part of their job so they will receive the more favorable rate for health insurance.
- Choose the appropriate value under the The Health Rate field of either Full Employer Share or Less Than Half Time Rate. The default value for this field will be Full Employer Share.
3. After entering all data click on the SAVE button at the bottom of the UW Benefits Tab. This will save the employee's Job Record.
4. Be sure to click on the hyperlink to Employment Data to ensure that all dates under this page are accurate.
Related Job Aids:
HR - Empl Class Overview
HR - Job Code Changes
HR - Add a Concurrent Job (Non-Madison)
HR - University Staff Temporary (LTE) Hours Report