TL - Change Length of Lunch using Rule Element 2 (Employee)
This document explains how to enter lunch using Rule Element 2 in the timesheet.
The Auto Lunch is setup on the employee's TL Security page by the Payroll Administrator. This function automatically deducts "x" minutes each shift or day for lunch (each set of In and Out punches will have an auto lunch deduction applied).
Lunch deductions are best used for employee's with a standard schedule that doesn't vary on a day to day basis. Questions regarding auto lunch should be directed to the Payroll Administrator.
- Before using this guide, an employee should know the following: Campus login ID and password for My UW System Portal
1. To access or review the timesheet, refer to TL - Accessing a Timesheet (Employee & Manager).
2. You will be taken to the Timesheet page. Your scheduled hours should appear in the first IN and second OUT fields for the days you work. The amount of time in the Punch Total column will appear to be over the amount of Regular Hours you work in a day. That discrepancy, .75 hours (45 minutes) in this example, is the length of your lunch.
3. If you would like to change the length of your lunch for that day, scroll over until you reach the Rule Element 2 column and click on the Look Up tool for the day you want to change the length of your lunch.
4. You will be taken to the Look Up Rule Element 2 page. Click on the link for the appropriate lunch length from the list of options.
Note: DO NOT enter the length of lunch in the middle OUT and IN boxes. If you do this, the .75 (45 minute) auto-lunch will be deducted once from each set of IN and OUT punches, for a total of twice from your regular hours. For example, if you took a shorter lunch on 11/1 and entered 12:00pm - 12:45pm in the middle OUT and IN boxes, HRS would deduct .75 hours from the first set of punches (7:45AM - 12:00PM) AND from the second set of punches (12:45PM - 4:30PM), for a total of 1.5 hours deducted.
5. Click the Submit button after changing the length of your automatically deducted lunch.
NOTE: If your regularly deducted lunch is always .75 hours (45 minutes) or any other length, it will display on the Payable Time tab of the timesheet. After the Time Administration process runs, Regular Hours worked will be separated from the lunch deductions.