PY - Process for Submitting a General Deduction File
This document describes how to submit a general deduction file for processing. A standard template will be used by all campuses/vendors that will create the deduction files that will be uploaded into PeopleSoft by the UW Service Center. Any loaded deductions via this process will go directly to the Employee General Deduction table.
Upload .CVS Template File Criteria
- The .csv template file must contain all information and formatting listed.
If the file is not submitted correctly it may be returned to the campus and will not process.
- The EMPLID must contain all eight (8) numbers including all leading zeros (0).
- The COMPANY is always UWS.
- The EFFDT is the Effective Date (must be formatted as MM/DD/YYYY, ten characters including the slashes). If the effective date is on or before the pay period end date, the system takes the deduction.
- The DEDCD is the Deduction Code.
- DED_CALC is the Deduction Calculation Routine. Acceptable values include:
- A - Flat Amount (most commonly used)
- D - Default to Deduction Table. Verify with the UW-Service Center that a Default value has been entered into the General Deduction Table. This will be used if all employees will always have the exact same deduction amount all the time.
- G - Percent of Total Gross
- DEDUCTION_END_DT is the Deduction End Date (must be formatted as MM/DD/YYYY, ten characters including the slashes). A deduction end date is not required if you want the deduction to be on-going or if you enter a goal amount in the Goal Amount field. If you specify a deduction end date, the system takes the deduction only if the deduction end date is on, or after the pay period end date.
- DED_RATE_PCT is the Deduction Rate or %. This is only used if you specified the Deduction Calculation Routine of G - Percent of Total Gross (not commonly used).
- LOAN_INT_PCT is the Loan Interest %. This will not be used - leave field blank.
- DED_ADDL_AMT is the Flat or Additional Amount. This field must be completed if the Deduction Calculation Routine of A - Flat Amount was selected. Do not include the $ dollar sign or commas. If the value is a whole dollar amount decimal places are not necessary. Up to two decimal places are acceptable.
- GOAL_AMT is the Goal Amount. This is the total amount of all of the amounts to be deducted. Once the Goal Amount has been reached the deduction will cease to be withheld from the employee's earnings. If the value is a whole dollar amount decimal places are not necessary. Up to two decimal places are acceptable.
- GOAL_BAL is the Goal Balance. This is an amount maintained by PeopleSoft. Do not indicate an amount in this field.
Uploading the File
- Navigation: Inbound File Upload > Inbound File Uploads/Errors
- If a blank row does not exist, click on the plus sign to add a new row.
- The fields that need to be completed are:
File Type - Use the drop down arrow to select the file type of "General Deduction"
File Description - Enter a short description identifying the file you will be submitting
Business Unit - Use the look up icon to look up and select the Business Unit (Campus) that is submitting the file.
Click on the paper clip icon.
- Click the Browse button to search for the file that you wish to upload.
The file must be an Excel document in .csv format
- Once you have selected the file, click the Upload button to upload the file.
- The name of the file you have just uploaded will now show in the Attached File field.
- Click the Save button to save the file.