TL - Lunch Punch
This procedure outlines steps for entering lunch times in the punch timesheet.
Procedure At-a-GlanceCategory: Steps for entering time.
Audience: Managers, supervisors, payroll coordinators, HRS Service Center.
Overarching Process: N/A
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
This procedure outlines steps for entering lunch times or for using an auto lunch deduction in the punch timesheet. Punch exception time reporters will have predetermined "auto" lunches or punch lunch times.
Before using this guide, an employee should know the following:
There are two MyUW portals, MyUW Madison and MyUW System, which provide all UW employees access to their Personal, Time and Labor, Absence, Payroll, and Benefit information applications (app). Each app displays personalized employee information stored in the Human Resources System (HRS), as well as links to HRS-Self Service modules and Help information.
UW-Madison: Employees can access the MyUW Madison portal at https://my.wisc.edu/ using their UW-Madison NETID username and password. On the MyUW Madison portal, the Timesheet can be accessed through the Time and Absence app. Supervisors will access the Timesheet through the Manager Time and Approval app.
All UW: Employees can access the MyUW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/ using their UW Institutional ID username and password. On the MyUW System portal, the Timesheet can be accessed through the Timesheet link located at the top of the Time and Absence app. Supervisors will access the Timesheet through the Timesheet link at the top of the Manager Time and Approval app.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
Access the timesheet through the MyUW Madison or MyUW Systems portal.
- If an employee's schedule includes punch lunch times, adjust the lunch Out and In times as necessary. For example, if the lunch punch schedule is Out 11:45AM and In 12:30PM but the employee only took a 30 minute lunch on Friday, change the times as needed, such as Out to 12:00PM and leave the In as 12:30PM.
Timesheet before change to lunch on Friday
Timesheet after change to lunch on Friday
- In the above example, do not use Rule Element 2 lunch selections to reflect a different lunch was taken. Doing so will result in the lunch deduction being doubled, taking lunch from both segments of time.
Note: Punch positive employees with P_ZERO_HOURS work schedule may also insert lunch Out and In times.
- If the day's default schedule does not include punch lunch times, the shift may include an auto lunch deduction. In the timesheet shown below, two things would help you determine there is a 30 minute auto lunch. First, within the shift hours, there are no meal Out/In times. Secondly, the Punch Total each day (8.5) is 0.5 or 30 minutes higher than the Sched Hrs amount of 8.00. You may also determine whether the employee has an auto lunch deduction by checking TL Security.
To change the amount of the auto lunch deduction, use Rule Element 2 selections if the employee takes a lunch that is different from the default lunch. For example, an employee's shift includes a 30 minute lunch. However, the employee takes a 45 minute lunch instead of the normal 30 minute lunch.
Note: If the employee has a work shift that crosses midnight, the updated auto lunch deduction code should go in the Rule Element 2 field on the line that contains the employee's In punch (the beginning of the shift).
- Scroll to the right of the timesheet and select the Rule Element 2 to display the search results.
The following search results are displayed:
Select "45_LUNCH." When Time Administration processes, the 45_LUNCH will override the defaulting 30 minute lunch and 45 minutes will be deducted from the shift instead of 30 minutes. You can also key in 45_LUNCH on the timesheet without searching if you know the Rule Element 2 value.
- If no lunch was taken that day, select "NO LUNCH." The entire shift will then be paid.
Note: Punch positive employees with P_ZERO_HOURS work schedule may also use Rule Element 2 to designate lunch times.