TL - Night and Weekend Differentials for FLSA Exempt Employees
This procedure outlines how to enter night and weekend differentials for eligible FLSA exempt employees.
Procedure At-a-GlanceCategory: Approving Time
Audience: Supervisors, Payroll coordinators, HR Service Center.
Overarching Process: Time & Labor
Navigation: Manager Self Service > Time Management > Report Time > Timesheet. (Supervisors and Managers will access this page through the My UW portal)
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
Not all FLSA exempt staff are eligible for night and weekend differential because of the total job concept. If eligible, this procedure outlines how to enter night and weekend differentials for eligible FLSA exempt employees in the elapsed timesheet. Night and weekend differentials process automatically in Time Administration for FLSA nonexempt employees who use the punch timesheet. The automatic calculation of differentials for FLSA nonexempt employees occurs, because times are entered in the punch timesheet, and the processing rules within Time Administration read the day and time of day to determine differential pay. However, FLSA exempt employees who use the elapsed timesheet do not enter exact times for their work; therefore, Time Administration does not know when the employee worked during the day. In order to pay night and/or weekend differential to FLSA exempt employees in the elapsed timesheet, Time Reporting Codes must be selected and number of hours must be entered.
Before using this guide, an employee should know the following:
There are two MyUW portals, MyUW Madison and MyUW System, which provide all UW employees access to their Personal, Time and Labor, Absence, Payroll, and Benefit information applications (app). Each app displays personalized employee information stored in the Human Resources System (HRS), as well as links to HRS-Self Service modules and Help information.
UW-Madison: Supervisors can access the MyUW Madison portal at https://my.wisc.edu/ using their UW-Madison NETID username and password. On the MyUW Madison portal, the Timesheet can be accessed through the Manager Time and Approval app.
All UW: Supervisors can access the MyUW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/ using their UW Institutional ID username and password. On the MyUW System portal, the Timesheet can be accessed through the Timesheet link located at the top of the Manager Time and Approval app.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
1. Access the timesheet through menu path Manager Self Service > Time Management > Report Time > Timesheet. Supervisors and Managers will access this page through the MyUW Madison or MyUW System portal.
2. Select a specific employee by entering EmplID, Last Name/First Name; or search for the employee or a group of employees by selecting Group ID, Business Unit, Department, or Workgroup. 17347.
3. Click Get Employees and choose the employee name hyperlink.
4. In the elapsed timesheet, scroll to the right and click ('+') to add a row on the applicable day.
5. In the Time Reporting Code (TRC) drop-down list, choose the appropriate TRC. See the Time Reporting Codes employee timesheet view to understand which TRC to use (TRCsbygroupsemployeetimesheetview.xls).
6. For example, an employee works within the night differential period on 2/14, 2/17, and 2/21 and within the weekend differential period on 2/19. Under the respective dates, enter the number of hours which apply to the night or weekend work as shown below.
7. Click Submit to save your work.