HR - Maintain Workforce - Transfers
This document describes how to transfer an Employee within the UW system.
- This document does not apply to UW-Madison and is intended for users from other UW campuses. UW-Madison users should refer to documentation intended for their campus.
General Description:Hire: First time employee is added to HRS or when adding an additional job for employee.
Transfer: Used when individual is UW system employee and takes another job within UW System. Could be at any institution.
Rehire: Used when an employee has a term row. Could be for concurrent job, could be gone and come back.
Employees can move to different jobs, without a break in service, within an institution or to a different institution entirely and the Action used in HRS is Transfer. Transferring employees to a different institution will require coordination between the two institutions losing/gaining the employee. Specific inquiries will need to be made when a person resigns to determine if a person is really transferring to a different position or institution. Benefits, Absence and Pay can be negatively affected in the cases where a person is inadvertently terminated when a transfer is the correct action.Process Inputs:
- Approval/request forms
- Resignation notices
- Employee Transfer
- Add Fiscal Year 2015 Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense (for Appointing Dept the employee is transferring into)
- Update T & L Supervisor Approver / Backup assigned (if applicable)
- Update T & L Schedule Assigned (if applicable)
- Re-provision employee with new Security Roles
- Update Encumbrance Flag on Job data (if applicable)
- If transferring a person currently in an University Staff Temporary Employment (LTE) position with the Under Min check box checked to a different job that has a position, you must first remove the under-min check box before applying the Position. Once you apply the position, the check box will gray out and you will no longer be able to edit it.
- Special care and coordination required between institutions who are transferring a person between institutions. To assist in the coordination when transferring a person between institutions the directory link is as follows: https://uwservice.wisc.edu/directories
- Employees who are transferring between OT, CL, or SH jobs may not require positions (Jobs that existed at conversion of HRS do have position numbers).
- If an employees BN Eligibility=NO and they are transferring to a position that gives them eligibility, the UW Benefits Tab will need to be updated.
- CP employees transferring to another CP job should always be transferred on a Sunday, if they are starting the new job at the beginning of the week.
- For employee classes of SH, OT 1-6, CL or pay group (NON), or the standard hours are 4.00 or less per week (a.k.a. FTE is < 0.100000), HRS automatically places a checkmark in the Encumbrance Override indicator field. This cannot be overwritten manually. When adding a row to “Transfer” or “Rehire” someone, who was previously in an employee class that did encumber, the job code for Student Hourly, designated of a job as an empl class of CL or OT 1-6 will automatically update the Encumbrance Override box. However, when adding a row to “Transfer” or “Rehire” someone that did not encumber, if the standard hours are changed from less than 4.0 to greater than 4.0 per week, HRS will allow you to uncheck the Encumbrance Override indicator manually.
- Employees security roles will be de-provisioned upon effective date of Transfer to a new position/job in different department.
- For FA / AS / LI (formerly Unclassified) - if the current position ends on a Friday and the new position starts the following Monday, the Transfer date should be Sunday. The two units / institutions will split the weekend. The appointment letter must reflect the start date of Sunday.
Navigation: Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data
1. Enter Employee Name or Empl ID #
2. Click search button.
3. Click the button to add additional row.
4. Enter appropriate Effective Date.
5. Select Action of Transfer.
6. Select Appropriate Action Reason.
7. Enter new Position # (if applicable), then click Tab for data to repopulate.
8. Navigate to the 'Job Information' tab and review the fields populated correctly.
9. Click Compensation Tab (if salary change applicable).
- Click the Default Pay Components button.
- (1) In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, verify the Rate Code.
- (2) In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, enter the Comp Rate.
- (3) In the Pay Components section, in the Amounts mini-tab, verify and/or update the Frequency, if necessary.
- (4) In the Compensation section, located near the top of the screen.
- (5) Verify and/or update the required *Frequency field, if necessary.
- (6) Click the Calculate Compensation button.
10. Click Save button.
An HR Job Data Action of Transfer triggers the need to add funding for the employee's salary expense for the new Appointing Department to which the employee is transferring. For step-by-step instructions, refer to HRS KnowledgeBase documents:
Related Policies, Job Aids and Forms:
Related Job Aids
- HR - Change Position Data
- HR - Action/Action Reason Code Job Aid
- HR - Contract Administration HRS
- PY - Managing the Individual Retroactive Payroll Process (Payroll Coordinators)
- Document 16758 is unavailable at this time.
- HR - Maintain Workforce - Pay Rate Changes