FN - Department Setup Verification Report
This user procedure describes the use and business need of the Department Setup Verification report. This report will help Campus and Division Payroll users identify organizational departments that have not been configured correctly to: a) Encumber or not encumber earnings, and b) Use suspense funding.
Procedure At-a-GlanceCategory: Reporting.
Audience: Campus and Division Payroll users.
Overarching Process: FIN 1.00 - Manage Commitment Accounting.
Navigation: UW Financial Reports > Department Setup Verification
Jump to Sample Output (below)
Jump to Action Needed (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
Note: Divisions or Departments that have elected not to encumber will appear on this report with "N" under Encumbrances (except UWEAU & UWOSH), but no action is needed. Before contacting the UW Service Center to request changes to configuration, please confirm with a Division or Department administrator if the department in question has elected to encumber earnings or not.
- Use Comm. Acctg. / Budgeting check box is marked
- Use Encumbrance Processing check box is marked (except UWEAU & UWOSH departments)
- Use Actuals Distribution check box is marked
- Suspense Funding is set up
Process Type: SQR Report
Note that this report will be scheduled to run during weekly batch processing.
The screen shot below shows the Commitment Accounting and Tenure tab within Department setup. This tab contains the check boxes for:
- Use Comm. Acctg. / Budgeting
- Use Encumbrance Processing
- Use Actuals Distribution
The screen shot below shows the Dept Budget Date tab on the Department Budget Table USA. This tab contains suspense funding setup.
Navigation: Set Up HRMS >> Product Related >> Commitment Accounting >> Budget Information >> Department Budget Table USA
- Department Parameter
- This is the Organizational Department (i.e. A011010).
- Leave blank to run for all Organizational Departments.
- Enter the Department alpha prefix only to run for all departments at the institution
(i.e. enter A for UWMSN, B for UWMIL, etc).
- Enter a partial Department ID to run for all departments that begin with the value entered
(i.e. enter D45 to run for all departments that begin with D45...)
- This process produces a PDF report identifying department setup/configuration issues (see General Description for further detail). The report is sorted by Dept ID.
- Fields on the report: Business Unit, Org Department, Commitment Accounting, Actuals Distribution (Budget), Encumbrances, Suspense Funding
- Distribution: This report will be available to Campus and Division Payroll users via PeopleSoft Report Manager or Process Monitor on a weekly basis.
- This report may be run ad hoc at any time as it has no dependencies on other processing.
- This report will only list sub-departments (i.e. A011010) with setup issues, not divisions (i.e. A01) or departments (i.e. A0110). Entering "A01" in the Department parameter will generate a report of all sub-departments beginning with "A01..." that have at least one setup issue.
- This report assumes that all departments at all campuses will use Commitment Accounting, Encumbrances (except UWEAU & UWOSH), and Actuals Distribution. In actuality, individual departments may choose not to encumber. Such departments will appear on this report despite being configured correctly because they are an exception to the report logic. No action will be needed for departments appearing on this report with "N" under Encumbrances that have elected not to encumber.
Exceptions (including first-year considerations)
At Go Live, UWEAU & UWOSH will not be using encumbrances. The encumbrance-related report logic for departments at these two institutions has been tweaked to identify instances when the Use Encumbrance Processing check is marked. For all other institutions, the report lists departments where this check box is not marked.
Note that this report will be scheduled to run during weekly batch processing. The following procedure steps apply to ad hoc execution of this report.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to UW Financial Reports >> Department Setup Verification.
- Search for and select an existing Run Control ID, or click the "Add a New Value" tab to create and save a new Run Control ID.
- The run control page will display once a Run Control ID is selected or a new Run Control ID is added. In the Dept ID prompt, enter a partial or full Dept ID, or leave blank to run for all organizational departments. Use the spyglass lookup icon as needed to view a list of Dept IDs and descriptions.
- Select the Run button to save the Run Control ID and advance to the Process Scheduler Request page.
- Verify that the Select check box is marked and that the Process Name displays UWFIR005. The Type and Format default to Web and PDF, respectively. If needed, update these fields as required.
- Select the OK button to initiate the process.
- The Run Control page will display once again, with the Process Instance noted in the upper right corner below the Run button. Select the Process Monitor hyperlink.
- The Process List page will display. Verify that the process has a Run Status of Success and Distribution Status of Posted. If no processes appear in the Process List, verify that your User ID is entered in the upper left corner and that the Last field is at 1 Days (or more). Click the Refresh button to refresh the Process List if you update any of the editable fields at the top of the page.
- To view the report output, select the Details hyperlink.
- From the lower right corner of the page under Actions, select the View Log/Trace hyperlink.
- From the File List section in the middle of the View Log/Trace page, select the hyperlink with the .PDF filename suffix. The naming of this file will be "processname_instance.PDF". In this example, "uwfir005_18577.PDF".
- The PDF report may be viewed in your browser and/or saved to your hard drive.
Click here for sample PDF output.
A) For Departments listed on the report where "N" appears under the Commitment Acctg and/or Actuals Distribution columns:
- Contact the UW Service Center to request a correction to the department configuration. Per the Departments configuration approach (attached below), all departments will be set up with the Use Comm. Acctg/Budgeting and Use Actuals Distribution check boxes marked.
B) To determine action needed depending on the value in the Encumbrance column, use the campus-specific tables below:
|UWEAU and UWOSH Only||Other Institutions
(all campuses except UWEAU & UWOSH)
|If the value in the Encumbrance column is "Y", check with a Division or Department administrator to determine if the department in question has elected to encumber.||If the value in the Encumbrance column is "N", check with a Division or Department administrator to determine if the department in question has elected not to encumber.|
If the department does encumber, no action is needed.
If the department does encumber, contact the UW Service Center to request a correction to the department configuration.
If the department does not encumber, contact the UW Service Center to request a correction to the department configuration.
If the department does not encumber, no action is needed.
C) For Departments listed on the report where "N" appears under the Suspense Funding column:
Contact the UW Service Center to request that suspense funding is set up for the department in question.
- Configuration Approach: HR26.001_HR_Departments.docx
- Configuration Approach: FN_348.001_Encumbrance_Definitions.docx