AM - Approve an Absence - Manager
This procedure outlines the steps for approving an employee's submitted absence request. Absences must be approved for employees to be paid for them.
- Managers should always remember to review an employee's absence balances before submitting a take on an employee's behalf. The balance for the employee is displayed on the request.
Log in to the My UW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/. Note: UW-Madison employees can optionally log in to the My UW Madison portal instead. For more information on logging into the My UW System portal, please see UWSC Support - Logging in to the My.Wisconsin.edu / My.Wisc.edu System Portal .
Locate the Manager Time and Approval module and click the Approve Absence link.
You will be taken to the Absence Requests page. This page will show any Pending absence requests by default. Choose the absence you wish to approve by clicking on the employee's Name.
*Note: you can view any requests you have approved or denied by changing the Show Requests By Status field to what you want to view ("Approved" or "Denied") and then click the Refresh button.
The Absence Details page will appear. Click on the Approve button to approve the absence request. You can optionally leave comments for the employee in the Approver Comments box.
NOTE: This balance only reflects the balance as of the last Earnings Statement (i.e. confirmed payroll). Absences approved or taken since the last payroll are not reflected in this balance. You should always verify that your employees have available hours of leave to take before approving any absence requests.
You will see the Approval Confirmation page. Click Yes to approve the absence.
This warning message will appear if the employee has already submitted time on the date of the absence request.
Acknowledge the warning message.
- Go to the employee’s timesheet and review the reported time, both the reported time and absence request on that day is correct.
- If the reported time (including the absence request) is correct, then nothing needs to be done to the employee's timesheet.
- If the reported time (including the absence request) is not correct, adjust the reported time on the employee's timesheet as needed.
Best Practice: When making changes to reported time on an employee’s timesheet which has already been submitted, first delete the line being updated and then enter the updated reported time.
- Note: If the reported time being updated was also approved and an adjustment to the employee’s reported time was made on the employee’s timesheet, be sure to go to Payable Time and approve any negative offsets that may be generated by the Time Admin job.
Approve the absence request.
- On the next Approve Confirmation page click OK to finish approving the absence.