HR - Copy a Position
This document shows how to copy a Position in HRS.
- Navigate to Organizational Development > Position Management > Maintain Positions/Budgets > Add/Update Position Info.
- Click the Add a New Value tab.
- Click the Add button.
- Click the Initialize button on the right.
- Enter, or use the Look up icon to find, the Position number to copy.
- Click OK. Attributes of the copied position will populate except for Empl Class, Continuity and Pay Basis.
- If necessary, change the Effective Date. The Effective Date of the Position must be equal to, or earlier than, the Start Date of the employee(s) being hired using the Position in Job Data.
- Cut the Job Code from the field.
- Tab out of the Job Code field.
- Paste the Job Code back into the field.
- Tab out of the Job Code field. Notice how Reg/Temp, Regular Shift, Full/Part Time, Union Code and Short Title default in.
- If necessary, click the drop-down arrow to select Full/Part Time value. 100% is Full-Time and <100% is Part-time.
- If necessary, the Title field may be changed to a working title.
- Empl Class defaults based on the Job Code. If the field is blank, click the drop-down arrow, and select the appropriate Empl Class code. For a list of Empl Class definitions refer to KB 15813.
- The Continuity is based on the duration of the job as specified in the employee's contract. Click on the drop-down arrow to select the appropriate Continuity Code. See HR - Continuity Status Overview for more information on Continuity.
- Click on the drop-down arrow to select the appropriate Pay Basis. For a list of Pay Basis definitions refer to KB 29426.
- If necessary, in the Department field, enter the 7-character appointing department or use the data lookup icon to search for and select the appropriate value. The Department begins with the campus alpha code identifier (e.g. D455000). For more information, see KB 26615. After entering the Department, verify that the correct department description displays.
- If necessary, in the Location field, enter the 5-character code which begins with the alpha campus code identifier (e.g. D2036). If unknown, click the lookup icon to search for and select the appropriate value. After entering the Location, verify that the correct location description displays.
- If necessary, in the Reports To field, enter the Position number of the Supervisor of this Position.
- Standard Hours defaults based on job code. If necessary, enter the appropriate Standard Hours for the Position. The FTE will calculate based on the standard hours entered. See KB 18202.
- Work Period will automatically populate based on Business Unit, Job Code, Empl Class, and Pay Basis previously entered above.
- Below the Salary Plan Information section, locate the icon for the USA flag . Click it to expand the section.
- In the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) Status field, the value will automatically populate, based on previous information entered for the Position. The FLSA Status field indicates whether the Position is exempt from overtime pay or nonexempt. To change the FLSA Status, click the drop-down arrow to select either Exempt or Nonexempt, as required.
- Click the Specific Information tab.
- In the Max Head Count field, enter the appropriate maximum number for this position.
- Verify that the Budgeted Position check box has been checked.
- Click Save.