PY - Maintaining a Foreign National's Information (Audience: Employee or Stipend Recipient)


This user procedure provides the steps for foreign nationals to follow, related to entering and updating their information in Glacier, which is self-service. Glacier will collect data that is used in validating and allowing foreign nationals tax treaty benefits and applying tax withholding accurately.


  • Foreign national must have a visa indicator, active paid position, and an email address in HRS in order to receive a Glacier account.

  • Upon Glacier account creation, foreign national will receive user ID and password, by email, from The user ID and password will be needed for the foreign national's first access to their Glacier account.

  • If a foreign national is living and working outside the U.S., and will not pass the substantial presence test during the entire calendar year, they will not need a Glacier account.  Instead, they should contact their employing department and submit a Foreign National Income for Activity Performed Outside the U.S. Statement.  Details on the IRS substantial presence test are available at:


To enter immigration information into an existing Glacier account, please follow these steps:

1. Navigate to GLACIER (Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance System)

2. Click on the "Login" hyperlink in order to login to Glacier

3. Enter the user name and password that you received via email.

4. Change your user ID and password.

5. Enter your newly created user ID and password to log into your Glacier account.


6. Proceed through the steps within Glacier as directed by the instructions shown on each screen. Please use the supplemental information provided below to complete your entry.  If you are not able to enter your information as directed, please submit any questions about using GLACIER to:

a. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).  If you do not have a taxpayer ID number (TIN), you must apply for one.  Individuals who are employees must apply for a Social Security number (SSN).  Individuals not considered employees, who are only receiving non-service scholarship/fellowship income, must apply for an Individual Taxpayer ID number (ITIN) if they do not already have an SSN.  Details on the SSN/ITIN application process, for individuals not located in Madison, are available at:  Application details for individuals located in Madison are available at:
Note: UW payroll will not apply a tax treaty withholding exemption, if applicable, until an individual enters the appropriate TIN into their Glacier account and delivers the required reports, forms, and documents as listed on the Glacier Tax Summary Report.

    b. Relationship: Your payment relationship with the University of Wisconsin depends on your job title. There is a possibility that you are paid on multiple titles and may need to select more than one relationship. If you are an employee, expected to perform services in exchange for wages, you must select the Employee/Staff/Faculty/Student/Research Assistant relationship type in Glacier.  However, if your position title is for a non-service scholar/fellow/trainee position, such as Fellow, Post Doctorate Fellow, Adv Opp Fellow, Scholar, Post Doctorate Scholar, Trainee, Post Doctorate Trainee, Graduate Intern or Graduate Trainee, then you should select the Scholar/Fellow/Trainee relationship type. If you are not certain about your position title(s), contact the campus department(s) offering you the position(s).
    c. Income Type: This is based on your position title/payment relationship with the University of Wisconsin. If you selected a payment relationship of Employee/Staff/Faculty/Student Helper/Research Assistant, then select the income type of Compensation/Wages/Salary. If you selected a Fellow, Scholar, or Trainee relationship for one of the titles listed in item b above, then select the income type of Scholarship or Fellowship (Non-Service).
    d. HRS Employee ID: Do not change this field.  This number is assigned by the University of Wisconsin HRS system and is an 8-digit number that begins with 0.
    e. Sponsoring Institution: This will be the school listed on the immigration documents issued by your sponsoring institution. 
    f. Time Spent in the U.S.:

1. Original (or anticipated) Date of Entry to the U.S.: This should be the date you last entered the U.S. following an absence of one year or more.  Entries and exits before and after that date, and any immigration status changes, will be captured on the next couple of screens. 

2. Date Permission to stay in the U.S. Expires: List the end date on your I-20 (if F status), DS-2019 (if J status), I-797 or I-94 (H1-B or other status), or EAD card, if applicable.

3. Estimated or Actual Date of Final Departure from the U.S.: If your actual date of 'final' U.S. departure is not known, estimate. This should be the date you plan to leave and remain outside the U.S. for 365 days or more.  It should include all U.S. presence, whether or not associated with your time at the University of Wisconsin and regardless of your immigration status during any presence.  You may need to change this date in the future as your situation changes.

    g. Immigration Status: Please read the two statements in this section of Glacier and select the one for your situation. The question pertains to the date you listed as your 'Original (or anticipated) Date of Entry to the U.S.' (#1 above), which should be the last time you entered the U.S. following an absence of one year or more.  
    1. If you have not changed your immigration status since that entry date, select the first statement, to indicate that your current immigration status is the SAME.
    2. If you DID change your immigration status since the U.S. entry date you listed, select the second statement indicating that your status is different.

h. Days Present In the U.S. .: Glacier calculates this number based on the U.S. entry date you listed for the first year, and January 1st of each subsequent year.  If the Estimated Total Number of Days Present for each calendar year is too high, indicate the number of days you were outside the U.S. for each period.

    i. Prior U.S. Visits: Select one of the two statements in Glacier to indicate whether the U.S. entry date you listed is the first time you ever visited the U.S., or whether you had prior visits.  Enter the information for all your previous U.S. visits since 1985.  If you have more visits than rows to list them in, contact Glacier support for direction (
    j. Tax Residency Status Summary. Review for accuracy.  If incorrect, click Back and correct necessary entries.
    k. Tax Treaty Exemption Verification: You will only get this selection if you are eligible for tax treaty benefits and have entered your TIN in your Glacier account. Please read the statement carefully to determine whether there are any limits that may affect your eligibility for the tax treaty; then make your selection to either claim a tax treaty withholding exemption or decline it.   If you claim the tax treaty withholding exemption, you must complete the next page. Your estimated total Compensation/Wages/Salary would be the gross amount that you anticipate receiving in the current calendar year. This is an estimate and does not need to be exact.  Note: if all steps are met, UW payroll will apply a treaty withholding exemption to future income paid to you.   Note that while the UW applies the treaty withholding exemption, your formally claim the treaty when you file your annual income tax returns. More information on filing tax returns is available at:

7. Print all Glacier-generated reports and forms.  Sign and deliver to your Glacier Responsible Administrator, whose name and address will be provided on the Glacier print-outs. You must also deliver copies of all documents listed on the Glacier Tax Summary Report including an EAD card, if you have been issued one.

8. Save changes and log out of Glacier. 

9. Remember your Glacier login and password.  You will need to update Glacier each time your information changes.  You may also need to renew annual tax treaty withholding exemption forms, retrieve Form 1042-S, and use Glacier Tax Prep to prepare federal tax return 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, if that applies to your individual situation. 

10. Following any future updates to your Glacier account information, please print, sign and deliver a new Glacier Tax Summary Report and copies of the forms and documents listed on it to your Glacier Responsible Administrator located at your campus.

11.  When you permanently end your relationship with the University of Wisconsin, be sure to let your Glacier account administrator know to terminate your Glacier account.


      Related KBs:

      • N/A

      Related Links:

      Keywords:Maintain Employee Foreign National Information NRA Non Resident Alien Glacier Tax Compliance Arctic International PY, Payroll PY, Payroll PY, Payroll   Doc ID:17409
      Owner:Teri V.Group:UW–Shared Services
      Created:2011-03-23 19:00 CDTUpdated:2020-07-20 10:06 CDT
      Sites:Human Resource System (HRS)
      Feedback:  84   33