AM - Requesting Absences through Self Service (Employee)
This procedure outlines steps for entering a full day, partial day, or a date range absence as an employee.
Employees will record absences (or request time off) through Absence Self-Service in order to get paid. Absence Requests will also be used to keep track of an employee's leave balances. This document outlines the procedure for submitting a full day, partial day, or a date range absence as an employee.
Employees should always review their absence balances before submitting any absence requests. The employee's balance will display on the page once they have selected the Absence Name.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:Before using this guide, an employee should know the following:
- Campus login ID and password for My UW System Portal
- Log in to the My UW System portal. For more information on logging into the My UW System portal, please see UWSC Support - Logging in to My.Wisconsin.edu System Portal . Note: UW-Madison employees will log onto the My UW-Madison portal instead.
Locate the Time and Absence module and click the Enter Absence link.
- You will now see the Request Absence page. This is where you fill out the specific information for your absence request.
If you see you made a mistake of any kind, you will need your supervisor to push back the absence for you to make changes. If the supervisor has already approved the absence, you will need to consult with your payroll/absence coordinator to make changes.
Note: If you are employed at more than one job you will need to select the job you wish to enter an absence for from a list before you will be taken to the Request Absence page.
- Start Date (required): The first work day you were (or will be) absent, you can enter the date by typing it in the format MM/DD/YYYY or by clicking the calendar icon and selecting the correct day.
- Filter by Type: Leave it set to All. Absences are classified into categories such as Vacation, Sick Leave, etc. You can filter the list of absences by selecting a category so you will only see the related absences.
- Absence Name (required): Select the specific type of absence you will taking.
- Current Balance: Once you select an absence name, the current leave balance for the absence will be displayed.
NOTE: This balance only reflects the balance as of the last Earnings Statement (i.e. confirmed payroll). Absences approved or taken since the last payroll are not reflected in this balance.
- Requestor Comments: You may optionally enter comments about the absence for your supervisor. Note: There is a spell check icon to the right of the Requestor Comments box.
4. After selecting an Absence Name, more fields will appear for you to fill out.
- Reason: This field is not used.
- Entry Type: This field is not used when requesting a full day absence. Leave this field set to "Hours per Day".
5. After Start Date, Absence name, and Entry type are filled out, you have two options. You can either fill out Duration and calculate End Date or fill out End Date and calculate Duration. Fill out the preferred field and then hit the Calculate End Date or Duration button. The calculated figure will appear in the appropriate box.
- End Date (required): The last work day of your absence. Note: You can either enter an End Date, or fill out the Duration field. You should use only one of these methods.
- Duration (required): Instead of entering an End Date, you may enter the Duration of your absence in hours. Example: If you work 8 hours a day, and will be absent for 2 days, you would enter a duration of 16 hours.
: After entering either an End Date or a Duration for your absence, click the Calculate End Date or Duration button and the system will fill in the blank field for you. If the calculation of End Date or Duration is incorrect review your entry and make corrections as required. Ensure that the Duration is less than or equal to your remaining balance. If not, you must reduce the number of hours for this absence.
6. There are three different types of absences you can request: full day, partial day, or a multiple date range. Depending on the type, the hours per day, duration, and end date can change.
- Full Day: 8 hours per day for one day
- Partial Day: 4 hours per day for one day
- Multiple Date Range: A certain number of hours over a specific date range. Number of hours per day is usually 8, signifying a whole day was taken. If you take only 4 hours per day, the number would be 4. Takes should reflect the actual time taken. If you plan to take 20 hours sporadically over the week, they should be entered by day.
7. After filling out the required fields, click Submit.
- : This will submit the request to your supervisor for approval. Once you have submitted the absence request, you cannot make any changes to it.
- Once you have clicked the Submit button, you will see a confirmation page. Click the OK button.
8. You will now see the Request Details page which lists the details of the request and its status. Because your request has just been submitted, its status will say Pending.