AM - Enter a Partial Day Absence - Manager
This document shows you how to enter a partial day absence for an employee in HRS.
This document shows managers and supervisors the procedure for submitting a partial day absence on an employee's behalf. Absences that are submitted on the behalf of an employee are automatically approved.Process Inputs:
- Employee Timesheet
Managers should always remember to review an employee's absence balances before submitting a take on an employee's behalf. The balance for the employee will display when you select the absence type.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
Before using this guide, a manager/supervisor should know the following:
- Campus login ID and password for My UW System Portal
- Log in to the My UW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/. Note: UW-Madison employees can optionally log in to the My UW Madison portal instead. For more information on logging into the My UW System portal, please see UWSC Support - Logging in to my UW System Portal.
- Locate the Manager Time and Approval module and click the Manager Self Service – Time Management link.
- In the Manager Self Service Time Management menu, click the Absence Request link.
- Enter a date on or before the date the absence will occur in the As Of field. You can enter the date in the format MM/DD/YYYY or select a date from a calendar by clicking the calendar icon.
- Click the Continue button.
- You will now be on the Select Employees to Process screen. Notice that only employees that report to you as of the date you entered on the previous page will show up here.
- Click the radio button next to the name of the desired employee and click the Continue button.
- Enter the Start Date for the employee's absence. You can enter the date in the form of MM/DD/YYYY or select a date from a calendar by clicking the calendar icon.
- Select the appropriate absence from the Absence Name drop down menu.
- Notice that after selecting an Absence Name, several more fields appear. The Current Balance for the select absence will also appear.
NOTE: This balance only reflects the balance as of the last Earnings Statement (i.e. confirmed payroll). Absences approved or taken since the last payroll are not reflected in this balance.
- Enter the End Date for the employee's absence. You can enter the date in the form of MM/DD/YYYY or select a date from a calendar by clicking the calendar icon.
Select the desired option from the Entry Type drop down menu. Notice that when you select an option other than "None" for Entry Type, a new field will appear and will be named depending on your selection. In the screenshot below, the new field is Hours Per Day because we selected "Hours Per Day" from the Entry Type drop down menu.
- Hours Per Day - The amount entered in this field will be used as the full day amount for every day of absence taken. For example: We entered a partial day of 4 hours.
- Start Date – The beginning date of the absence.
- End Date - The last day of the absence. All of the days included will be for the duration entered in the Hours Per Day field.
- Enter the number of hours for your partial day in the Hours Per Day field. In the screenshot below, this employee will be taking a half day, so we enter 4 hours.
- Click the Calculate End Date or Duration button.
- Notice that the Duration field has been filled in with the total number of leave hours for the absence request. In the screenshot below, we only requested a single day at 4 hours per day so the Duration equals our Hours Per Day.
- Click the Submit button.
- You will now see a confirmation message. Click the OK button.
- After the confirmation page, you will be taken to the Request Details page. The absence request has been successfully submitted. Notice that because you are a manager submitting this request on behalf of the employee, the request is automatically approved.
Related Policies, Job Aids and Forms:Related Policies