HR - UW Personal - Foreign National and Appied for SSN or ITIN
This procedure defines the use of the fields for Foreign National working outside the USA or Foreign Nationals working Inside the US but with no SSN or ITIN. Payroll processing uses these flags in their processes to appropriately assign Tax details to these employees.
Procedure At-a-GlanceCategory: Foreign Nationals
Audience: HR Professionals
Overarching Process: Hiring and maintaining employee data
Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information >Modify a Person> UW Personal Page
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
This procedure is used to identify employees who are working outside the USA, but will be paid by the University of Wisconsin. This checkbox for Foreign National working outside the USA will serve as a trigger to the Payroll team in setting up taxation, tax treaty, and payroll processing details.
If a foreign national is working inside the US then the check box for Applied for SSN or ITIN may be checked.
- W-4 Form
- Add a Person Form
- Receipt from Social Security Administration
- Visa Information
- UW Reporting ID
If an employee does not have an SSN one of these boxes should be checked.
Exceptions (including first-year considerations):
In the Legacy IADS system, identification of foreign nationals was to use a 990-xx-xxxx format in the SSN. Best practice recommends only putting values in the SSN field that are real SSNs. In HRS, utilizing the flag "Foreign National Working Outside the US" will be used in lieu of a 990 number. Due to data conversion, some person records may still contain the legacy numbers, however, they should no longer be created or used for new hires in HRS.
To perform this procedure, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information >Modify a Person> UW Personal Page
If the hire is a Foreign National working outside the US click the check box.
- If the foreign national is working inside the US and is awaiting an SSN from the Social Security Administration then click the applied for SSN or ITIN check box.
NOTE: For the "Applied for SSN or ITIN", once the SSN has been received by the employee and their person record updated this box should be unchecked.
- HR - Add a Person
- Document 17434 is unavailable at this time.
- HR - UW Personal - Selective Service
- HR - Add Disability and Veterans Information
- HR - Add Visa Data (Cross reference to International Tax)
- Add a person: Employee Self-Identification Form
|NOTE: Do not use the SSN field for other purposes. Use the Foreign Nat Outside the US check box to identify these employees.|