BN - WED - ABBR Mismatch Report
Income Continuation Insurance (ICI) and State Group Life Insurance (SGL) requires an Annual Benefit Base Rate (ABBR) for the payroll process to accurately calculate the insurance premiums to charge each payroll. The mismatched ABBR between Employee Records cause insurance premiums to calculate correctly according to the rules for ICI and SGL. Benefit Administrators need to review the employee's job and compensation data and update or correct an ABBR accordingly.
- UW ABBR Update Process (UW_BN_ABBRUP) runs nightly Sunday through Thursday.
- The process updates SGL/ICI ABBRs for the following scenarios:
- Employees who are newly hired into a WRS position or rehired into a WRS position (with more than 30 day break)
- If an employee has another appointment added, which makes them eligible for WRS for the first time
- If an employee is hired today with two different appointments, which makes them eligible for WRS for the first time, the process updates both empl_rcds
- The process does NOT update SGL/ICI ABBRs for the following scenarios:
- When a new Empl_rcd is added, if the employee is already enrolled in the WRS
- If an employee changes WRS category (i.e. General to Teacher)
- If the employee has a permanent FTE change
- When an employee turns age 70 and an SGL70 ABBR must be added
- For any Summer Service (V), Summer Session (S), or NON (N) Paygroups.
- The ABBRs should be entered or fixed prior to the first payroll in which Income Continuation Insurance and/or State Group Life Insurance premiums will be charged. The ABBR effective date cannot be earlier than the hire date on each Employee Record. If you are missing an ABBR for a date other than the initial date of State Group Life eligibility (i.e. an historical row), correct history will be required to fix the error. If you do not have security, contact your AG Group for assistance.
- An ICI and SGL ABBR must be added to EVERY active Employee Rcd (Empl_Rcd) to ensure that the ICI and SGL premiums will calculate correctly regardless of which Empl_Rcd is marked as the Benefits Primary Record. More information on Benefits Primary Records is available in the Related KB Documents and Job Aids section below.
- HRS will NOT recognize a change in ABBR as an event requiring benefits retro to calculate. In the event an ABBR has been changed after a payroll has run, a payline adjustment will be required to pick up the missing premium. Please open a WiscIT and assign it to your AG Group for assistance with paylines. Please note: clicking the WiscIT button will not automatically create a ticket for you in Cherwell.
ANNUAL BENEFIT BASE RATE AMOUNTS:
- First Year: Must be based on an estimated annual salary during the first year an employee is eligible for the WRS. If a paper application is used, the ABBR listed on the application must match what's entered in HRS.
- Existing Employees: The Annual ICI and SGL ABBR Processes will update the ICI ABBR each year based on the prior WRS year's earnings. The SGL ABBR Process will update the employee's amount based on the previous year's WRS earnings or the highest year of reported WRS earnings, whichever is higher.
- Mid-Year: State Group Life Insurance rates do not change mid-year regardless of changes to FTE or salary (with exception for employees turning age 70 - see BN - WED - Age 70 Report ). Income Continuation Insurance ABBR's MUST be changed mid-year due to permanent changes in FTE or change in WRS category. For more information about ICI mid-year changes, please visit the Income Continuation Insurance: Annual Base Benefit Rate Rules.
- Transfers: For ICI, when an employee transfers from another state agency to the UW, the employee must submit an application within 30 days to maintain coverage, but the ABBR is based on UW projected earnings. For SGL, when an employee transfers from another state agency to the UW, the SGL ABBR must match the current coverage level from the previous employer based on the State Personnel Transfer Record.
1. Log into HRS. The Workflow Exception Dashboard queries will appear based on your current security and whether there is an error to fix.
2. Click on the hyperlink for the UW_BN_ABBR_MISMATCH query.
3. A current list of employees whose ICI, SGL, or SGL7 ABBR values do not match between Employee Records will be displayed. This list will be refreshed each evening. Empl_ID's that appear as hyperlinks in the list have more than one error. (This may occur if the employee also has an ABBR Unrounded error.)
4. Click the Check to Claim checkbox next to the employee you wish to work on. Your name will appear in the Claimed By section with the date and time noted. (Please remember to claim all employee rows.)
5. Click the BN_ANNL_BENEF_BASE hyperlink for the employee you have claimed.
6. The employee's Update ABBR page will be displayed where you will add a new effective dated row and amount or correct an existing effective dated row. Click on the magnifying glass icon to select the ABBR type of ICI, SGL or SGL7 to review current ABBRs. (Note: You will may need to click on the Correct History button to correct an existing effective dated ABBR.)
7. To better review ABBR values on each Employee Record, you will need to navigate to the Review ABBR's pages. Click the "New Window" hyperlink in the top right corner of your screen to open a second window to obtain this data.
8. Navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Review ABBRs and enter the employee's Empl_ID and click Search.9. Select the first Employee Record (0) to review. Navigate through the Employee Records by clicking the Next in List button to compare both the effective dates and the amounts between active Employee Records. The most common reason an employee will appear on this report is because one Employee Record has the most up to date information while another Employee Record was recently rehired containing older ABBR effective dated information. The example below shows an employee with an ICI ABBR of $73,000 on Employee Record 0 with an effective date of 7/1/2016. Employee Record 2 is missing the 7/1/2016 row so the latest dated ABBR is $72,000 as of 2/1/2016. Therefore, Employee Record 2 needs a 7/1/2016 row added with an ABBR amount of $73,000.
10. To add the employee's ABBR, click on your original window or navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Update ABBRs. (Note: this menu item is directly above the display ABBR menu item. If you click directly from the display to the update screen, the system will
12. To verify that you now have the appropriate ABBR amount and date on the Employee Record, navigate back to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Review ABBRs.
- UWSHR Website: Disability and Income Replacement Insurance
- Income Continuation Insurance: Annual Base Benefit Rate Rules
- UWSHR Website: State Group Life Insurance