HS-IRBs News - April 2011
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News / Volume 3, Number 4, April 2011
Printer Friendly Newsletter April 2011
Happy 1st Birthday to ARROW
The ARROW system turned 1 year old on March 31st. Thank you to everyone who has helped make the transition from the paper submission system to ARROW a mostly smooth one, especially study teams. We will continue to work on improvements to the system over the coming months. Your feedback about ARROW is always welcome. Please email any feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org and put Feedback in the subject line.
HS IRBs Staff News
We are very pleased to welcome to a new staff reviewer to the office. Curtis Ryals comes to us from the UW Comprehensive Cancer Center and began working with the HS-IRBs earlier this month.
HS-IRBs Website Starts Move to a New Platform
The HS-IRBs website is in the process of being migrated to a new platform with several new features, including:
- A robust search engine so study teams can find information more quickly.
- A tool that allows study teams to leave feedback on posted documents.
We hope that study teams will find the new website platform useful and we encouage everyone to provide feedback. Any suggestions for the new website can be emailed to email@example.com. Please put Website Feedback in the subject line.
Need Help with ARROW?
ARROW consultations are now available by appointment only at the HS-IRBs office in the University Bay Office Building (free 2 hour parking is available). If you would like in-person assistance with ARROW or an individual quick-start session, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing your request, please put ARROW consultation or small group demonstration in the subject line.
Reminder: New Personnel Change Guidance
The Health Sciences IRBs has posted new guidance regarding personnel changes, including changes to Principal Investigator (PI), on the Policies & Guidance page on its website. This guidance became effective March 21, 2011.
ARROW Scheduled Outages
To allow for maintenance and upgrades, ARROW has regularly scheduled outages on Mondays through Saturdays from 3AM to 6AM and on Sunday from 12AM to 7AM. Please do not plan on working with ARROW during these times. Outages other than those regularly scheduled are posted on the ARROW homepage (arrow.wisc.edu).
New: VA Research Web Page
The HS-IRBs website has a new VA Research page. This webpage provides information for research teams who conduct studies that fall under Madison VA purview, including several important updated VA documents. The page includes:
- Contact information for key research personnel at the Madison VA, including the VA Research Office, VA HIPAA Privacy Officer, and VA Research Compliance Officer
- A description of what research falls under Madison VA purview and thus requires Madison VA Research and Development Committee review.
- A revised VA consent form template, which reflects changes to the compensation for injury, who to contact with questions, and the final/signature page
- Updated consent form guidance
- VA template HIPAA form
- A checklist that details the regulations applied to VA research, which research teams can use to proactively address issues in their IRB applications
- A flow chart that shows the steps for VA R&D Committee and IRB approval for non-exempt research studies that fall under Madison VA purview
- Guidance on flagging participant records in the VA Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS), one of the requirements for VA research
A new flow chart describing IRB requirements for studies that involve either personnel or sites external to the UW-Madison/UWHC/Madison has been posted to the multisite research page of the HS-IRBs website. The chart outlines when IRB approval and letters of support are required as well as when an IRB authorization agreement (IAA) or independent investigator (IIA) agreement might be needed.
ARROW Helpline Reminders
- If you do not reach someone when calling the ARROW helpline, please leave a message. We are able to return the majority of voicemails quickly, typically the same day.
- If you are calling about a particular submission, please provide the ID number or IRB protocol number. This is especially important when leaving a message.
- If you are calling for help with how to use ARROW (e.g., navigating different workspaces, responding to reviewer notes), please be at a computer and logged in to ARROW. This will allow helpline staff to walk you through whatever process you need help with.
- Please do NOT rely on the IRB point of contact system for ARROW questions that are not about how to answer questions in the ARROW application forms. All other questions should be directed to the helpline.
Information previously provided on this page has been relocated to our new IRB website.
Please visit this page for information about connecting with the IRBs.