HR - Student Help - Hiring Lump Sum
This document provides step by step instructions to hire a student help job that is receiving his/her compensation as a lump sum.
- This document does not apply to UW-Madison and is intended for users from other UW campuses. UW-Madison users should refer to documentation intended for their campus.
Category: Student Help - Lump Sum
Audience: HR Professionals and those hiring Student Help Jobs
Overarching Process: Hiring Student Help
Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Add a Person - Student Help
Workforce Administration > Job Information> - Add Emplmnt Instance - Student
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
General Description:Lump Sum jobs for students are entered through HR - Student Help - Add an Employment Instance , or thorough Job Data - Student Help Only. Template Based Hires are used for HOURLY jobs only. Creating a Student Help job with a Lump Sum is done using the Add a Person - Student - Student Help page when hiring a student who is not in the HRS system, or in EPM. Always search for an existing record before entering a new student. This will ensure that work study funds are appropriately linked to the student's job.
If hiring an existing student, you may use Add an Employment Instance - Student page to hire the student into a new job. You will need to have the student's employee ID to add the new job.
If you are transferring a student from one student help job to a new student help job, you may use Job Data - Student Help Only to enter a new row to transfer the student.
- Student Hire form
- Student Payroll Forms: I-9, W-4, Direct Deposit
- Selective Service Forms (if applicable)
- International Tax Forms (if applicable)
- Student Hired
- Additional Employment Record Added
- Student Transferred
- Multiple jobs
- Primary vs. Secondary Job
- Expected Job End date
Exceptions (including first-year considerations):Student Hourly jobs with a Pay Basis of hourly (H) can be created via Template Hire. LUMP sum jobs SH jobs cannot be created through the template-based hire. The Job Data – Student Help only will allow data changes for empl class of SH only. If you attempt to make changes to other empl classes, or if you try to change the empl class on this page, the data will not be saved.
On the Work Location tab, remember to click the Calculate Status and Dates button whenever you change the Effective Date.
2. Search EPM for an existing employee ID.
>If the person ID is found then continue to step 3.
>If the person ID is not found then continue to step 3.
5. If a Person ID was found in EPM but not in HRS, enter Legacy Person ID as the Empl ID. Using this number, change “NEW” in the Person ID field to the Legacy Person ID. The HRS system will assign that number as the Employee ID.
6. Click ‘Add the Person’ See HR - Student Help - Add a Person for detailed steps to enter the data into the Person Data fields.
7. On the Organizational Relationships tab Check the ‘Employee’ box and click ‘Add the Relationship’.Read and correct any error messages that appear. The system automatically navigates to the pages where job data is entered. Continue with business process Document 15604 is unavailable at this time. - Student Help. Or Save record and Add Employment Instance - Student Help at a later time (go to step 8).
8. Add Employment Instance -Student
Enter Empl ID
For concurrent Jobs, the EMLP Rcd Nbr will default to the next available number and the Job Indicator defaults to Secondary Job.Click Add Relationship
On Work location tab.
b. .Verify the Job Indicator is set to the appropriate setting (primary or secondary).
f. Company - Click the look up and select UWS.
g. Business Unit - Select the hiring campus (SHARE is not a valid option).
h. Department - Select the hiring department.
i. Location - Enter the location where the job will be performed.
j. Establishment ID defaults based on the business unit selected.
4. On the Job Information Tab
b. The Regular/Temporary, Empl Class, Regular Shift, Classified Indc, UWC/ UWEX Program Area, Entry Date, Seasonal?, Full/Part and Officer Code fields will default to the correct setting.
c. Pay Basis - Select Lump from the drop down.
9. On the Job Labor Tab values will default.
10. On the Payroll Tab values will default from the values on work location and job information. (If the Pay Basis is not selected on the Job Information tab, you will get an error on this page. Go back and select a Pay Basis of Lump.)
11. On the Salary Plan Tab values will default from the values entered on work location and job information.
12. On the HR - Comp Rate Frequency Overview , Click the Default Pay Components button. Verify that the Comp Rate Code defaults to NAHRLY and the top and bottom frequencies default to "H". Leave the Comp Rate BLANK. Then click “Calculate Compensation”. Review to ensure calculated amount (on Top Frequency) is correct, i.e., 0.000000.
13. On the UW Custom Page, select the Continuity of "N" and Probation Type of "Not Required". The Probation End Date is grayed out. Enter a Working Title -- this is used to identify the time sheet in Time & Labor. Leave the Encumbrances section and Non-Resident Alien Info blank.
14. Via the Employment data link, add the Criminal Background Check data as appropriate.
15. Click Save to save the job record.
16. Click OK for Warning -- Compensation Rate is zero.
17. Click OK for Warning -- Not all defaulted compensation rows have a comprate.
18. Click OK for Warning -- You have updated job information that is relevant to compensation defaulting on job row 1.
19. Enter LUMP sum amount through Additional Pay. See - PY - Enter Additional Pay
20. Enter Funding. See - Document 16416 is unavailable at this time.