Training & Education
Health Sciences IRBs Training Opportunities
Health Sciences IRBs: Understanding the Common Rule and the HS IRB Submission Process (formally IRB for Beginners)
The Understanding the Common Rule and the HS IRB Submission Process workshop provides an overview of the regulatory requirements for conducting human subject research at the UW and the IRB submission process for projects requiring review by the Health Sciences IRB.
The current one-hour workshop is held several times each year and workshop attendance is encouraged for those new to the HS IRBs process or looking for help on how to effectively submit an IRB application. The focus of the workshop is on Common Rule requirements, the ARROW application system, and resources available to assist researchers with their submissions.
UW-Madison Online Training for Researchers
The UW-Madison requires Human Subjects Protection training for UW personnel engaged in human subjects research and HIPAA Privacy Rule training for those who are within the Health Care Component of the university of part of the Affiliated Covered Entity UW-Madison and UW Health). Below is information about how to access the required training:
- Training Offered Through CITI
- Complete the Human Subjects Protection training by following the instructions on this page.
- If applicable, complete the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training by following the instructions on this page.
- Additional Information:
- Review and print training certificates by searching the Research Certification Course Completion Database (requires UW-Madison NetID).
- If you have completed CITI training without using your current UW Madison NetID or completed training at another institution, please visit this page for information on how to have that training linked with your NetID account.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule Training
- Basics of Conducting Clinical Research at UW Health
Independent IRB Training Information
- The Reliance Team recommends training for all new independent IRB users. Information about training sessions and how to contact the Reliance Team can be found here.
New to Research?
- Information for New Investigators
- HRPP Training and Education
- Summary of Investigator Responsibilities
- Principal Investigator Status for UW–Madison Studies Involving Human Participants
- Outside Activities Reports/Conflict of Interest Committee
- To arrange a free consultation with an IRB staff reviewer, please complete the Consultation & Group Presentation Request. Although not part of the official review and pre-review process, consultations are a convenient way to obtain expert assistance and advice regarding the IRB submission and review. Researchers new to the IRB submission process may particularly benefit from the consultations service.
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) Education and Training Programs