Chat Consortium Agreement (LibraryHelp)
Guidelines for participating in the UW-Madison LibraryHelp consortium: expectations for participating libraries/departments, ChatWog, and LTG.
This is a living document, and will be updated to reflect any changes to the service.
LibraryHelp is currently the tool used by the campus libraries general chat service to provide patron assistance.
The UW-Madison LibraryHelp consortium provides:
- A tool for collaboration and referral via chat
- Central management and support of that tool by RMT's Chat working group and LTG
Libraries joining the LibraryHelp consortium agree to follow the standards below.
- If a library/department appears available for chat, it must accept transfer chats.
- Each library/department is strongly encouraged to auto-refer their traffic to the general system queue when they are not available to staff their local instance of the service.
- A number of questions asked via chat are in regards to known item searching or basic search strategies. People staffing the general system queue are trained and able to answer these kinds of questions. Thus, there is a good chance that the general service may be able to answer questions asked when individual libraries are not staffing their queues, ensuring that the libraries are doing the most they can to provide patrons with assistance at the point of need.
- People staffing the general system queue are trained to provide robust referral when necessary. They make use of online tools such as the Collaboration and Referral Agreements and the list of library liaisons in making such referrals.
Chatwog will provide the following support to libraries/departments:
- A Chatwog member to meet with each library to handle set up and chat admin training.
- Upon request, a staff training, led by a Chatwog member, that can encompass the operator interface and/or staff best-practices.
- Occasional forums/updates for services/issues etc.
The LTG Help Desk will provide the following support:
- Trouble-shooting technical problems for operators or administrators.
- Trouble-shooting and installation help for any aspect of code to install chat-now buttons on local pages