Mac OS X - Gathering System Information
This document explains how to gather basic information about a computer running Mac OS X.
About This Computer
To find the Mac OS version and memory information, go to the Apple menu and choose About This Mac.
The About This Mac window should look similar to this:
- Version: the exact version of the system software
- Processor: the speed and type of processor
- Memory: how much RAM is installed
Hard Drive Space
To get infomation about the hard drive, click once on Storage to select it.
This window gives detail information on how the hard disk is utilized
- Capacity: the total size of the hard drive
- Available: how much space is free on the drive
- Used: how much space is currently used on the drive
OS X includes a utility called System Report that provides more advanced information about the system. In the About This Mac window, click the System Report... button to open System Report.