HR - Student Help - Rehire
This procedure describes how to rehire a terminated student help job. This can also be used to hire a student help job if the previous employment instance was not a student help job code, such as an University Staff Temporary (LTE) transferring to a SH job between divisions.
General Description:Students may have multiple jobs across a campus or several campuses. As they change jobs, HRS allows for them to be rehired on an inactive empl record or empl record that shows a termination row. This may be a termination that occurs at the end of Spring Semester and the "rehire" begins in the Fall or an employee who was once an University Staff Temporary (Limited Term Employee) (LTE) and is now attending school and has taken a student hourly job. This procedure will walk through the steps, via job data, to rehire a student on an existing empl record.
- Student Help Template-Based Hire Form
- Student Help Additional Information Form
- Glacier Interface (if applicable)
- IAA/IAM Person Hub
Process Outputs:Student Worker hired:
- Staff Directory
- IAA/IAM Person Hub data feed
- Payroll Event - after hire and hours entered
Process Considerations:If a termination row for a student help job is entered in error, the student should be "rehired" on the existing empl record using the same Effective Date as the termination date and sequencing the row to the next sequential number. The action/reason should be "Terminated in Error". This action will allow the auto enroll process for Time and Labor to run enrolling the student in Time and Labor again. If the effective date of the rehire is after the termination date, then the days between the termination and the rehire will not be available to enter time on the time sheet.
If the previous job is not a student help job, you may use this procedure to rehire the employee into the student help job.
If the terminated job is in a department, division or campus for which you do not have row level access, you will not be able to rehire the student using the terminated employment record. You may request that the entry be made by someone with the higher access, or check with your supervisor to see if you have the correct level of access.
Exceptions:Student Help jobs that were converted from the legacy system will have a position number on the original hire row. Positions are allowed, but not required on student help (SH) empl class jobs. To change data on the job data page delete the position number on the rehire row. This will open up the fields for editing.
- Navigate to Workforce Administration>Job Information>Job Data
- Enter the employee ID
4. Click the plus sign to add a new row to the job
NOTE: If the job was terminated in error, you should use the effective date of the termination date and change the sequence number to the next sequential number (in this example the sequence is 1).
8. To remove the position number, highlight the position number and delete it.
9. Tab out of the Position Number field and the job data fields open up to allow updating. Enter any new data to be changed as needed.
11. On the Compensation tab (see KB 25233), Click on "Default Pay Components" to populate the Rate Code field. For Student Help the Rate code is NAHRLY. Then enter the comp rate amount and click Calculate Compensation. If this is a lump sum appointment, the Comp Rate should be blank, but the Rate Code is still required. Click "Calculate Compensation". The "top frequency" is always H for Student Help (and for all jobs paid bi-weekly).
12. On the UW Custom page check to see that "Continuity" is set to None and "Probation Type" is Not Required. Enter the "Working Title" for the student help job. Encumbrance data is not needed for Student Help and may be left blank.
13. When an employee's termination row entered, the 'UW Benefits' tab values become blank.
14. When the employee is rehired the 'UW Benefits' tab remain blank. Upon rehire, ensure that the 'UW Benefits' tab is repopulated and manually reenter the same information that was in the fields on the last active row. If this is not entered, this employee will appear on the New Hire Hold list until the UW Benefits Tab information is updated.
- UW System Administration webpage (includes: funding forms, change a person, self identification, additional information Student Help, Direct Deposit, W-4, etc.)
- I-9 Identification
NOTE: If correcting a termination made in error, use the date of the termination as the rehire date and enter a sequence number. This will allow Time & Labor to re-enroll the student in T&L.