Initial Review Guidance
- Review the eligibility page to ensure that the study can be reviewed an independent IRB.
- Create a new IRB application in ARROW by clicking the "Start ARROW Application" button in the upper left-hand corner, choosing "IRB Application," and then picking "Request to Cede IRB Review."
- Complete the first section of the application as you would for any other study.
- See the Training section below for requirements for study personnel.
- The funding pages are the same as other application. Please see the fee policy for more information about fees.
- Use the Local Context Checklist to review what items apply to the protocol and what UW required language may be needed.
- Use the consent language template for independent IRBs to enter specific UW-required language into the sponsor’s consent template.
- Combined consent/authorization templates from sponsors are acceptable because independent IRBs can serve as the privacy board for UW.
TrainingAnyone listed as a study team member on the WIRB application who is engaged in human subjects research must complete human subjects protection and HIPAA Privacy Rule training for researchers. Prior to submitting a ceded review application in aRROW, study teams must verify all study team members have completed required training:
- CITI Human Subjects Training - The UW-Madison requires CITI training for UW personnel engaged in human subjects research.
- Search the Research Certification Course Completion Database to review and print training certificates. NOTE: This requires a UW-Madison NetID.
- Did you complete UW-Madison CITI training without a NetID? Here's how to request a merger of your new NetID account with your completed training account.
- Did you previously take CITI human subjects training at another institution? Here's to get credit against the UW-Madison CITI human subjects training for training you previously took at another institution.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule Training - The UW-Madison requires HIPAA Privacy Rule training for those who are within the Health Care Component of the university or part of the Affiliated Covered Entity (UW-Madison and UW Health).
- If a study team member's HIPAA Privacy Rule training cannot be verified in Research Certification Course Completion Database, please contact the Reliance Team.
CVs and Licenses
|Independent IRB||CV and License Requirement|