D2L - IM (Instant Messaging) (UW-Madison)
The IM is an online messaging tool for sending and receiving text messages to classmates and other D2L users.
To launch IM:1. In the D2L "minibar" (the beige bar at the very top of the screen), click the envelope icon, then select Go to IM. The IM window opens.
- Inbox stores messages.
- Friends shows the list of friends that you have approved and have approved you.
- Classlist shows everyone in each of your classlists. You can select different classlists by using the View: dropdown list.
To send an IM:
1. Click on a contact's name through either the Friends list or the Classlist.
2. In the field at the bottom of the IM window, type your message.
3. Click the Send button. If the person is currently online in D2L, they'll receive the message instantly. If they are offline they'll receive it the next time they log on to D2L and open the IM tool.
To add a friend to your IM Friends list:
- If you select Add by Username, enter the person's username (usually this is the UW-Madison NetID), then click the Add button.
- If you select Search Users, enter the person's name and click the search button (the magnifying glass). From the search results, select the checkbox next to the user(s) you want to add, then click Add as friend.
To change your online/offline status in D2L:
2. From the Account Settings tab, under Signing In, change the Online Status setting to Always appear offline.