What's the Procedure for Naming a Room or a Building or Other Facility After Someone?
The naming of university facilities must be in accord with policies established by the Board of Regents, and should follow a particular route of approval:
This document outlines the procedure to follow when recognizing an individual or group by naming all or part of a facility in their honor.
- Originating department proposes name for facility via a request addressed to the Dean.
- The Dean presents the proposal to the L&S Academic Planning Council for approval.
- Once approved, the request is forwarded with the Dean's endorsement to the Campus Planning Committee.
- The Campus Planning Commitee forwards approved requests to the Chancellor. (Room naming will be advanced through the Space and Remodeling Policies Committee to the Vice Chancellor for Administration.)
- Please note that existing campus procedures also require that all fundraising efforts tied to proposed naming opportunities be approved by the Chancellor. We expect a detailed “naming opportunities” list to be prepared before fundraising approval can be given. Contact the Space Management Office for assistance and coordination throughout the naming processes. Staff will assist in preparing the appropriate documentation and help guide requests through the appropriate committees for the Chancellor’s approval.
This process is described in greater detail here.