Reviewing Initial Applications In ARROW
Instructions for IRB Members
- Log in to ARROW (http://arrow.wisc.edu) using your NetID and password.
- Once logged-in, make sure the gold bar at the top left states "IRB Member" as your role in the system. If it does not state "IRB Member", select this role from the links below the gold bar.
- You are now in your IRB member homepage.
- Click on the "Upcoming Meetings" tab in your IRB member homepage.
- Click on the meeting for which you wish to review and print the agenda. You are now in the meeting workspace.
- Click on the button labeled "Print Open Agenda" to print a hard copy of the open agenda.
- Click on the button labeled "Print Closed Agenda" to print a hard copy of the closed agenda.
**NOTE** You can access any agenda items in the closed agenda by clicking on the ID number. If you are not assigned as primary or secondary review, this is how you can access the submission to review it for an upcoming meeting
- To return to your IRB member homepage, click on "My Home" in the upper right corner.
- In your IRB member workspace, check your "Inbox: Initials" Tab for submissions assigned to you as primary or secondary reviewer.
- Click on the title of the submission in your Inbox in order to access the submission workspace and begin your review.
- Once in the submission workspace, the gold bar should indicate that the submission is in the "Assigned to IRB Meeting" state. The submission title should be displayed near the top of the screen.
- Click on the activity on the left side of the screen called "Print Reviewer Checklist". You can use the checklist(s) as a guide when reviewing the initial application.
- Click on the button labeled "View Application" to review the initial application SmartForm. Use the SmartForm features, including the "Continue" button and the "Jump To" menu to navigate the form.
**NOTE** Use the "Jump To" menu to go back to previous pages of the SmartForm rather than using the back button on your internet browser
- Once you have finished reviewing the application and the supplemental documents uploaded by the research team (e.g. consent forms, study protocol, questionnaires, recruitment materials), you can exit the application using the "Exit" button near the top of the screen. This will take you back to the submission workspace.
- There are two ways in which reviewers can submit their initial review checklists:
- ELECTRONIC CHECKLIST SUBMISSION: You will click the "Print Reviewer Checklist" button in the study workspace and click SAVE. This will be an editable word document in which you may type your review and submit your completed review directly after the IRB meeting, from your personal email account to firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be no need to "sign" this electronic submission as submitting it from your personal email account will suffice in providing the necessary documentation of who completed the review. **Please Note** If you decide to complete the IR checklist electronically, you will need to bring a laptop to the meeting so that you may reference your electronic copy of the checklist during the IR's meeting discussion and make any additional comments necessary ELECTRONICALLY and then submit the finalized electronic checklist to email@example.com. The IRB staff will be responsible for uploading this electronic copy of the completed checklist to the submission workspace.
- PAPER CHECKLIST SUBMISSION: You will click the "Print Reviewer Checklist" button in the study workspace and click PRINT. You would then write in your comments, bring the printed checklist to the meeting, write any additional comments if necessary during the meeting discussion and put the completed printed checklist in the basket at the end of the meeting. The IRB staff will be responsible for scanning and uploading a copy of your completed checklist to the submission workspace.
WHO TO CONTACT