HR - Craftworker Vacation Election
This is the process to follow when a craftworker changes his/her vacation plan to elect a vacation allocation with a different prevailing state rate.
General Description:This process allows Classified Permanent Craftworkers (Empl_Class CP) to manually elect, with a corresponding adjustment to their hourly rate, an increased vacation allocation of either 140 hours (17.5 days), or 180 (22.5 days). A Craftworker makes this election upon hire and prior to January 1 of each calendar year. This will effect the employee's Income Continuation Insurance and amount of State Group Life Insurance, the final average earnings for computing Retirement benefits, and also the value of the Sick Leave Account upon retirement.
Process InputsVacation Option Election Form
Process Outputs:Prevailing Pay Rate Change
Vacation Allocation Change
This form is provided to each eligible employee when initially hired and at the end of each calendar year. After the rate has been changed, it will adjust the gross pay and vacation allocation automatically as of the effective date of the rate change. This may be mid-pay period.
For the annual vacation election process, the Service Center will send a notice to each campus and Madison division that employs craftworkers reminding them of the upcoming annual vacation election.
The units will then provide each eligible employee with an individual vacation election form for the next calendar year.
- Once filled out by the employee, the form must be returned back to the unit office.
- The unit office determines the appropriate rate based on the vacation allocation and updates the employee's compensation rate, if needed.
- To update the rate, navigate to Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data
- Enter the Employee ID and the Employee Record Number next to the appropriate field and click Search.
- On the Work Location tab, click on the + toward the top right corner to Add a Row.
- Change the Effective Date to January 1
- Change the Action to Pay Rate Change.
- Change the Reason to Prevailing Rate Setting.
- Click on the Compensation Tab towards the top right corner.
- Click on the Amounts tab under the Payment Components section of the screen, if it is not already displayed.
- Change the Rate and then click on Calculate Compensation.
- Hit Save.
- UW System Benefits Policies: http://www.uwsa.edu/ohrwd/policies/benefits/
Vacation Option Election Form: https://uwservice.wisc.edu/docs/forms/hr-vacation-option-election.pdf