TAM - How to Apply for a Job On-line (External Applicant)
External applicants that currently do not work for the UW System (any campus or institution) can search for vacancies of which may be of interest. Before applying for a posted position, one must register online.
- Navigate to the Campus' Employment Opportunities Website. Or, navigate directly to the Careers page at https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu. On the Careers page, click on the "Click here to Register" link. You will then be taken to the Register page.
- On the Register page, enter a username (not case sensitive) and password (case sensitive). Click the Register button.
- Once you have registered, you can update your personal profile by clicking the My Profile in the My Career Tools section.
- Fill in your personal and contact information: name, address, phone number, and e-mail here. E-mail address is required; many state job service agencies and most community libraries have public-access computers you can use to apply online. The staff there can assist you with setting up a free e-mail account.
- After entering the applicant information, click the Save button. You will then be returned to the Careers Home Page.
- You view current job postings by clicking on the Search button, Job Search link, or by viewing the latest jobs, listed under the Latest Job Postings section.
- When using the Job Search, enter the criteria to narrow or broaden your search. Then click the Search button.
- Click on the Posting Title you'd like to learn more about.
- To apply for the job posting, click Apply Now.
- Choose the Upload a new resume radio button. And click Continue.
- Use the Browse button to find your resume.
- Change the Resume Title if necessary and click the Continue button.
You are brought to the Complete Application pages. Click on the Add Attachment link in the Cover Letters and Attachments section to upload required application materials, such as, transcripts, cover letters, teaching philosophy, etc. *Be sure to upload all required materials to ensure your application is considered complete.
- Select the Attachment Type from the menu. Enter a description in the Attachment Purpose field. Click on the Add Attachment link.
- Use the Browse button to find your attachment.
- Click the Upload button.
- Click the Save & Return button to return to the Complete Application screen (if you are finished adding attachments), or the Save & Add More button to continue to add more attachments. *Be sure to upload all required materials to ensure your application is considered complete.
- When done adding attachments, you are brought back to the Complete Application pages, with the Preferences link active. At this point, you can add the requested information in the Preferences area.
- Click the link for Online Questionnaire. If this position had screening questions set up, you will see them here and you must answer those in this section. Click the Save button after answering the question(s).
19.a) You may also add your education information in the Online Questionnaire section. This is optional, however, if you choose to add it, click on the Add Post-Secondary Education History link.
19.b) Select the Country from which you received your education. (Note: If selecting a country other than the USA, then fields may vary from those listed below or they may not apply to the education you are entering.)
19.c) Select the State from which you received your education.
19.d) Click on the School look up to select the school from which you received your education. For easier searching, select the State in which the school is located to filter the search results.
19.e) Select the Major.
19.f) Select the Degree.
19.g) Check the Graduated box if you received your degree from this school. (Note: If you enter the Date Issued, then you must also check the Graduated box.)
19.h) Click the Save & Return button to return to the Complete Application screen (if you are finished adding the Post-Secondary Education), or the Save & Add More button to continue to add more educational information.
20. Click the link for References. Add your references to the system by clicking the icon / linked Add Reference word.
21. On the Add Reference screen, enter the reference details, and either click the Save & Return button to return to the Complete Application screen (if you are finished adding references), or the Save & Add More button to continue adding references.
22. Click the link for How did you find out about the position? This page asks what was the source of learning about the job opening. Answer these questions.
23. Once you have filled out the four sections, you can now either Save the application, Submit your application, or Close Application to remove your application from this opening.
24. After clicking the Submit button, you will be brought to the Voluntary Self-Identification page. Complete the Disability section including your name and date. Once you enter the information, click the Continue button. You can also click Cancel and that will take you out of the application and to your home page or you can click Return to Previous Page to go back to the previous page in your application.
25. The next submission is for veteran status. You will be brought to the Self-Identification of Veteran Status page. Once you enter the information, click the Continue button. You can also click Cancel and that will take you out of the application and to your home page or you can click Return to Previous Page to go back to the previous page in your application.
26. Complete the Ethnic Group, Request for Confidentially and Terms and Agreements section. When you are ready to submit the application, click the Submit button.
27. You will see a message asking if all required materials are attached. Click Yes to submit, click No and then Return to Previous Page to make further changes. *Once the application is submitted, changes can no longer be made.
28. After you have submitted your application, you are brought back to your My Applications page, listing the jobs for which you have applied, or for which you have started the application process.
To verify that your application has been successfully submitted:
- Check for the "You have successfully submitted your job application" message on the My Applications page.
- The job will be listed in the Applications column along with Applied in the Status column in the My Applications section.
- You will receive a confirmation email.