Below is a summary of L&S and campus policy for instructors and departments offering undergraduate-level directed/independent study courses. It also includes best practices and recommendations when teaching directed study regarding determining the appropriate course number, number of credits, and creating local department policies and practices around directed/independent study courses.
Please see Directed/Independent Study for Undergraduates for the comprehensive campus policy about undergraduate directed/independent study. It includes information on:
- Common values and expectations
- Who may be an instructor for directed study
- Instructor responsibilities
- Creating a plan of student
- Assigning appropriate levels of credits
- Appropriate use of course numbers
- Limits on enrollment for instructors
- Directed study courses may not be used for group instruction
For more information about policy about L&S undergraduate directed/independent study courses, contact Elaine Klein (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kimbrin Cornelius (email@example.com).