UW-Madison Google Apps - Creating a Google Group
This document describes how to create a Google Group. Please refer to the following support document to find information on what a Google Group is and what it can be used for: Welcome to Google Groups.
Note: There are several known issues with UW-Madison Google Groups. If you encounter an error when attempting to create a Google Group, please see: UW-Madison Google Apps - Known Issues.
To create a Google Group, perform the following steps:
Log in to UW-Madison Google Apps with your NetID and password using the following URL:
If you have multiple UW-Madison Google Apps accounts, select your desired account from the list provided.
If you only have one UW-Madison Google Apps account, you will be logged into your account automatically.
- Open a new window or tab in your web browser and login to the Wisc Account Administration site at https://email.wisc.edu/admin/
- Left-click on Google Groups and select the new option to Create Google Group
- Enter in the name of the group you would like to create and click the Create Google Group button
- If everything was successful, you will see a message stating so. You can now manage this group by clicking the Google Groups Administration link.
- If there was a problem creating the Google group: Try first renaming the group. Spaces are considered invalid characters in Group names. Make sure to check the Groups as well to make sure the Group wasn't already created. Occasionally an error message is displayed even though the Group was actually created.
- Once you've logged in, the site will re-direct to the Google Groups Homepage . To open up your group select My Groups and choose the Google Group you just created
- To add members to the group, find the Manage button located below the address of your group and left-click this button.
- The manage page will give you options to Invite new members
- You now have a new Google Group and are ready to invite new members! For more information on configuring your Google Group, see Google's documentation on Starting with Google Groups as an administrator.