BN - Annual Benefit Enrollment Period Using Self Service
The Annual Benefit Enrollment & Change Period is October 1 - October 26, 2018. There are important changes to your benefits in 2019 that may require you to take action during this period.
This guide walks employees through the process of using Self Service for the Annual Benefits Enrollment period.
Before you begin, there are several pieces of information you should be aware of:
- All benefit elections must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, October 26, 2018.
- All benefit enrollments and changes made during this period will be effective January 1, 2019.
- You should review the Annual Benefit Enrollment (ABE) website for detailed benefit information prior to beginning the online enrollment process.
- Please have your personal and dependent information (i.e. SSN, date of birth, full names, etc.) before you begin your enrollment.
- Please answer 'yes' or 'no' to Other Health Insurance and/or Medicare Information on the Personal Information Summary and provide the Insurance Company Name, Policy or Group Number, and Subscriber Numbers. (For information on updating other health insurance information see:67317)
- Tax Sheltered Annuities are not available to enroll in using Self Service. To enroll in a Tax Sheltered Annuity, contact the vendor to set up an account and then complete a Salary Reduction Agreement and submit it to your campus human resources office.
2. You should see this Benefit Information widget. Click Enroll Now. Enroll Now will only be displayed if you have an opportunity to update your benefits using Self Service.
a. Or you may launch full app on the Benefit Information section on the page. If you have an opportunity to update your benefits using Self Service, you will see an Open Enrollment link in which you can access in order to begin Self Service enrollments. Clicking on the provided link will take you into HRS.
3. An information screen will appear with basic information about your Event. Please be sure to read through all the information before enrolling for coverage. To begin the process of enrolling in benefits, click the Select button.
4. You will be presented with the Benefits Enrollment screen listing the changes that will be available during the 2018 Annual Benefit Enrollment (ABE) period. If you would like to view your current benefits before beginning the enrollment process, click the UW Benefit Summary hyperlink. For more information about your options during the current Annual Benefit Enrollment period, click on the ABE Website hyperlink.
5. Below the summary you will be given a list of choices. To choose Health Opt-Out Incentive, please go to step 7. To begin making choices, click the Edit button next to the plan you wish to make any changes to for January 1, 2019.
6. The State Group Health insurance option screen will appear. Additional important information specific to the State Group Health plan will be displayed. Please be sure to read through the entire screen before proceeding with your elections. The 2018 Annual Benefit Enrollment period will have a large number of State Group Health insurance options available for employees. Click on the Plan Details hyperlink to be directed to the Employee Trust Funds website where additional It's Your Choice information is available.
7. The Filter Plan Options section is located below the State Group Health insurance information. You will be able to filter the list of available options by clicking on the radio buttons to include/exclude State Group Health Dental and/or the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) options. (Please note that clicking the Dental Options button here will not affect your Annual Benefit Enrollment option for the other dental plan, Delta Dental.)
a. Health Opt-Out and Waive are both at the very bottom of State Group Health Plan choices, and do not appear once the filter has been applied.i. Click here for more details on Health Opt-Out Incentiveii. Waive - means you are declining State Group Health coverage. This is NOT electing Health Opt-Out Incentive. Please use the correct radio button.
9. Click the radio button next to the State Group Health plan you want to enroll in for 2018. The rates and tax class will automatically display for each option based on the plan chosen and the number of dependents you wish to enroll.
10. After making your selection, scroll down to bottom of the screen. All dependents listed in HRS will be displayed and those currently being covered under the plan will be checked. Unchecking the boxes here will remove dependents from your plan effective January 1st. For rules on covering/dropping dependents under the State Group Health Plan, visit the UWSA Benefits website.
If the current dependents are still accurate for the upcoming year, click the Continue button. If you have made an error and do not wish to save your choices, click Cancel to return to the previous screen.
11. If you want to add a dependent click the Add/Review Dependents button.
12. The following screen will present a summary of dependents that are associated with your record. You can click the dependent's name to review information about that dependent.
13. To add a new dependent, click the Add a dependent hyperlink to begin.
- Here is a list of eligible dependents.
- To return to the previous screen, click the Return to Event Selection hyperlink.
- If your child is under the age of 26, then they are considered "Child," "Step Child," "Grandchild," or "Legal Ward." Please do not use "Adult Child" for children under age 26.
14. In the next window, you are required to enter all of the relevant information for your dependent (i.e. First Name, Last Name, Gender, Date of Birth, SSN, Relationship to Employee, Marital Status, Other Health Insurance, Medicare, etc).
- Please be sure to include other health insurance information if applicable to ensure proper coordination of benefits between plans.
- Dependent's names should be entered in CAPITAL LETTERS and the entire nine-digit Social Security number will be required to save the record.
15. Verify the address and phone number for your dependent. The system will default to the employee's address. Once you have entered the information, scroll down and click the Save button.
16. You should receive a pop up message indicating that your dependent has been saved successfully. Click the OK button to proceed.
17. To continue, click the Return to Dependent Summary hyperlink at the bottom of the page. You will be returned to the Dependent Summary screen, summarizing the information that you have entered.
18. You can repeat this process to add additional dependents as needed by clicking back on the Add a Dependent hyperlink. NOTE: This is a good time to enter all your dependents, regardless of which plans they will be enrolled in as it will make the process more efficient. Be sure to click Save after adding each dependent. Once you have entered all of your dependents and saved, click the Return to Event Selection link.
19. This will bring you back to the plan selection screen, where you can continue to make plan elections. At the bottom of the page, you can click the check box next to each dependent that you wish to enroll for each benefit plan. To remove a dependent from your plan, uncheck the check box. Click the Continue button when you are finished.
20. You will be brought to an Election Summary screen showing your plan choices, dependents that will be covered under each plan, and your estimated monthly costs.
21. If you would like to make additional changes, you can click the Edit button to return to the plan selection screen. If you accept this information, you may click the OK button to confirm your choices.
- NOTE: when you click the OK button, the HRS system stores your choices. Even though you haven't officially enrolled in any plans yet, if you were to time out from the system or navigate away from the page, your choices would be saved.
22. You will be directed back to the Enrollment Summary screen showing all plans that you have chosen updated with your New plan election listed, along with the Before and/or After Tax costs.
23. Once you have completed ALL of your enrollment selections and you are ready to Submit your enrollments, scroll to the bottom of the screen, verify that all information is correct, and click the Submit button. If you are not yet ready to finalize your elections, you can click Cancel button to return to the previous selection screens and continue to make changes. HRS will continue to temporarily store your selections.
24. Hit Submit when you are ready to finalize enrollments.
25. You should receive a new page confirming your benefit choices have been successfully submitted.
26. The following business day you will receive an email confirmation of your choices and directions to viewing your Benefit Summary using the My UW System Portal (MyUW Portal for UW-Madison employees).
27. If you need to make changes during the Annual Benefit Enrollment period AFTER you have Submitted your enrollments, please contact your institution Benefits Administrator's office.
- BN - FAQ for Employees Using Self Service During the Annual Benefits Enrollment Period
- BN - Self Service (eBenefits) Updating Other Health Insurance Information