HR - FMLA Tracking and Maintenance
This user procedure provides detailed instructions on how to enter the FMLA information for a UW employee. It includes the instructions for how to request access to the security role to enter FMLA data for an employee and how to complete the FMLA page.
Procedure At-a-GlanceCategory: Human Resources
Audience: This procedure is for the UW staff who enter HR data in PeopleSoft. The user needs to be able to have access to confidential medical information for their employees.
Overarching Process: Leaves of Absence
Navigation: Workforce Administration> Benefits> WFMLA/FMLA Request
Jump to Procedure Steps (below)
Jump to Related Policies/Job Aids (below)
An employee must have an approved FMLA request (each campus may have their own FMLA form).
- For UPDATE access, the user must request the UW_UNV_HR_FMLA_UPD role (HR FMLA update role)
- For VIEW ONLY access, the user must request the UW_UNV_HR_FMLA_VIEW role (HR FMLA view only role)
3. Once the user has been granted access, he/she can navigate to the FMLA page in HRS and fill out the information provided by the employee in the FMLA certification form.
- FMLA Certification Form
- The user needs to be able to have access to confidential medical information.
Exceptions (including first-year considerations)
- Navigate to Workforce Administration->Benefits->WFMLA/FMLA Request.
- Search for the employee using the Empl ID or name details and click search
- Enter the date the FMLA was requested, the begin date and end date of the requested leave.
- The system will automatically pull up the most current row that has been entered for that employee. If that employee has never had a request created, the system will default to the current date. If there is an existing entry from a previous date, the user must add a new FMLA instance by clicking the (+) button to add a new row.
- Enter the appropriate Leave Type based on the request. The options are FMLA and WFMLA, or FMLA only or WFMLA only.
- Select the Leave Frequency (Continuous or Intermittent).
- Select the Leave Reason.
- Select the appropriate Approval Status.
- If the request is denied, a reason must be selected.
- If the leave is canceled, the cancellation date should be populated. It is not possible to charge FMLA when an employee is no longer considered to be on FMLA.
- Click 'Save'.