[ay16-17] Moodle - Course Administration Overview
Information about the options under "Course administration" in the "Settings" block.
Move the Administration block
1. When you first create a course, the "Administration" block will be found on the left side of the page under the "Calendar" block.
2. To move the block to a different area, click the Turn editing on button at the top right corner of the page or the top link under "Course administration" in the "Administration" block.
3. You can then drag the block using the arrow key to the desired position on the page.
Functions of the Course administration links:
1. The “Turn editing on” link allows you to move and delete material, add resources and activities, and edit all settings on your course page. Once editing is turned on, this button will read, “Turn editing off.” Turning editing off allows you to see the course page without the editing icons.
2. The “Edit settings” link allows you to change many administrative features of the course page, including layout, enrollment, and availability. For more information on the course settings, see the Managing course settings page.
3. The "Completion tracking" link will show settings to determine if the course has been completed. For more information on the completion tracking settings, see the Course completion settings Moodle docs page.
4. The “Users” link allows you to add, remove, create groups, create groupings, and set permissions for students and faculty in your course. For more information on assigning roles, see the Enrollment page or Managing Groups page.
5. The "Filters" link allows you to change the filter settings of the course. For more information on filters, see the Filters MoodleDoc page.
6. The "Reports" link lets you view logs, reports, and participation for your course. For more information on reports, see the Reports Moodle KnowledgeBase articles.
7. The “Grades” link takes you directly to the gradebook, where you can view and edit grades for your course. For more information on the gradebook, see the Gradebook KnowledgeBase pages.
8. The "Badges" link allows you to create a Badge that can be awarded to show achievement or progress. For more information, see this Badges MoodleDoc.
9. The “Backup,” “Restore,” "Import," and “Import (current site)” links are most useful when creating a course page for a new semester. The “Backup” feature saves desired components of your course page, including files, user data, activities and resources, etc. The “Restore,” "Import," and “Import (current site)” links will bring the features that have been saved to the new course page. For more information on these features, see the Backup and Restore page.
10. The “Reset” link will remove all user data from a course while keeping the resources and activities on a course page. It is NOT recommended that a course be reset as the best practice is to back up and restore your course so that the course has a unique page for each semester.
11. The “Questions bank” link takes you to your course’s question bank—the area where every quiz question created in the course is stored. For more information on the question bank and the quiz activity, see the Managing Quiz Questions page.
12. The “Repositories” link allows you to edit the repositories used in your course.