FN - Run Suspense Funding Report
During a payroll processing period, you should run the Suspense Funding Report in HRS to identify employees who are missing payroll funding for the current Pay Run ID. The Suspense Funding query results display employees who have calculated pay for one or more jobs, but payroll funding is missing for part or all of their pay period.
NOTE: Each day of the employee's pay period needs to be funded.
- The Suspense Funding query should be run for your particular campus, division or department after each nightly preliminary payroll calculation (e.g. Monday morning, Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning, Thursday morning) of a payroll processing week.
- For each employee job listed on the Suspense Funding query results, you should add Appointment Level Funding on the Funding Data Entry, Add a New Value page in PeopleSoft HRS. The funding effective date should match either the Job Effective Date of the employee's Hire/Transfer/Change Department/Return from Leave/Rehire --or-- the Pay Period Begin Date; whichever date is later.
- Once payroll funding is added for each employee's job listed on the Suspense Funding query results, you should re-run the Suspense Funding query to ensure that the employee's name drops off the list. You may run the Suspense Funding Report query as many times as you wish.
- If payroll funding is not added before the Payroll Confirmation, the funding for the employee's job will be distributed to PRSUSP (Payroll Suspense). The Payroll Suspense chartfield will display in WISDM (Wisconsin Data Mart for PeopleSoft Financials) as Fund 128, Funding Department PRSUSP, Program Code 1.
NOTE: The Payroll Confirmation deadlines for the Monthly and Biweekly payrolls are listed on the UW Payroll Calendar.
- After the Payroll Confirmation, non-Madison users correct the PRSUSP funding by creating a Direct Retro Funding Distribution in PeopleSoft HRS. Madison users utilize the Salary Cost Transfer web-based form and routing system to correct the funding retroactively for employees listed on the report results.
- This report will only identify individuals with a non-zero earnings amount.
- Information Needed for this Query: Campus alpha code identifier
Run the Suspense Funding Report
- From the HRS Main Menu, use navigation path: Reporting Tools > Query > Query Viewer.
- On the Query Viewer search screen, in the begins with field enter all or part of the query name (e.g. UW_FI_SUSPENSE_FUNDING).
- Click the Search button
- The Search Results displays query names.
- In the Query Viewer, Search Results screen, locate the query UW_FI_SUSPENSE_FUNDING (Suspense Funding Report), and click the HTML link to run the query results in a new browser window/tab.
- Three required search fields are displayed:
In the Pay Run ID required field, enter the desired Pay Run ID, if known (e.g. 2014BW05A). If unknown, click on the look up icon to choose from a list of valid Pay Run IDs.
Note: Pay Run IDs begin with the 4-digit calendar year, then either BW for Biweekly or UNC for Unclassified, Monthly, then the 2-digit month; if Biweekly, an alpha code A, B, or C represents the first, second or third biweekly payroll of the month.
WARNING: In order to return results, a preliminary payroll calc must have been run for the specified Pay Run
- In the Fiscal Year required field, enter the four digit fiscal year 20xx.
- In the Org Dept
required field (Organizational Dept -- also known as appointing dept or major dept), enter all or part of the 7-character Org Dept which starts
with your campus alpha identifier (e.g. F021720).
Note: If a partial Org Dept is entered, you must use the percent character % as a wildcard (e.g. F%, F02%). You can also enter % to run for all departments.
- In the Pay Run ID required field, enter the desired Pay Run ID, if known (e.g. 2014BW05A). If unknown, click on the look up icon to choose from a list of valid Pay Run IDs.
To view the query results, click the View Results button.
Note: If you receive the message, "No matching values were found", one of three conditions has occurred:
- You neglected to enter information in all three required search fields (Pay Run ID, Fiscal Year, Org Dept).
- Your HRS Security access does not allow you to view query results.
- Your selected campus, division, or department does not have any employees who are missing payroll funding for all or part of their pay period for the specified Pay Run ID. No further action is needed.
For each employee job listed on the Suspense Funding query results, add Appointment Level Funding on the Funding Data Entry, Add a New Value page in PeopleSoft HRS. See KB FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
Interpret the Suspense Funding Report Query Results
For each employee's job listed on the Suspense Funding Report query results, you will need to add appointment-level funding before the Payroll Confirmation deadline for the current Pay Run ID.
Note: The descriptions for each column heading listed on the query results are listed below:
- Business Unit = 5-character campus abbreviation (e.g. UWOSH) where the employee's appointment is located (as listed on the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab)
- Org Dept = appointing department (e.g. F021720) where the employee's current appointment is located (as listed on the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab)
- Dept Description = descriptive name of the Org Dept (as listed on the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab)
- Empl ID = 8-digit unique employee ID (as listed on the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab)
- Empl Rcd = employee record number which represents the employee's job(s) at the Business Unit and Org Dept (as listed on the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab)
- Name = employee's name from the HR Job Data record, Work Location tab
- Empl Class = employee classification category, as listed on the HR Job Data record, Job Information tab.
Reference: For a complete list of employee classification categories, refer to KB HR - Empl Class Overview
- Pay Group = 3-character Pay Group code, as listed on the HR Job Data record, Payroll tab.
Reference: For a list of Pay Group descriptions and their associated UW Payroll Calendars, refer to KB PY - Pay Group Descriptions .
- HR - Empl Class Overview
- PY - Pay Group Descriptions
- FN - Salary Funding Levels Assigned During Payroll Processing
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- FN - Run the Employee Funding Summary Report
- FN - Run the Funding Change Report