D2L - Attending Web Conferences (UW-Madison)
You can attend Learn@UW web conferences to which you've been invited. Your method for attending a Learn@UW web conference depends on whether you are in the course classlist.
Attending Web Conferences
From a D2L CourseIf you're in a course classlist and have been invited to a web conference for the course, you can attend the conference using the Web Conferencing link in the course navigation bar.
- In most D2L courses you can find web conferences under the Communication menu > Web Conferencing. If you have been instructed to attend a web conference for your course but don't see this link, please see the course instructor.
- In the Web Conferences list, click the Join link for the web conference you want to attend.
From an Email Invitation
Attendees invited to a D2L web conference from an email invitation should click the link provided in the email to attend the conference.
Launching the Collaborate Software
Follow these steps after you click the link to join the web conference.
- You will be prompted to download a file called meeting.jnlp that allows the Collaborate web conferencing software to be downloaded to your device. Accept the download of the file (you can save it to your desktop or another location).
- Some computers automatically launch the downloaded meeting.jnlp file and begin launching Collaborate. If that doesn't happen on your computer, launch the meeting.jnlp file.
- You may see another window that asks you to allow Blackboard Collaborate to access your computer. Click the Allow button to allow access.
- The first time you enter a conference room you will be asked to select your connection speed. Select your connection speed and click the OK button.
- The web conference opens.
NOTE: If you see an application error "Unable to launch the application," it is recommended that you clear your Java cache. This is likely to solve the problem.
Be sure to take the time to become familiar with the Collaborate interface and tools. There is much more information on Collaborate features in the Blackboard Collaborate KnowledgeBase.