Will pass/fail courses count toward any of my degree requirements?

This section explains which courses can or cannot be taken for pass/fail for L&S undergraduate students.

Will the classes I take pass/fail count toward any of my degree requirements?

Students must be in good academic standing in order to declare the pass/fail option.  In the College of Letters & Science, good academic standing means a student:

  • Is not on probation
  • Is not on strict probation
  • Is not on continued probation
  • Is not on continued strict probation
  • Is not in dropped status
Detailed information regarding the UW-Madison pass/fail policy can be found at policy on the use of pass/fail grading option for undergraduates.

Pass/Fail courses count toward four (4) requirements:

  • 120 total degree credits needed for graduation,
  • 80 credits outside any one department (for students under the 1971 L&S curriculum requirements),
  • 60 credits of intermediate or advanced work (if the course is designated as I, A, or D level),
  • Residence requirement (if the course is taken within the last 30 credits before graduation).
    • L&S undergraduate students may carry only one (1) pass/fail course per term including the summer session.
  Students can take a maximum of sixteen (16) credits for pass/fail during their undergraduate career at UW-Madison.
Pass/Fail cannot be declared or used to fulfill the following requirements:
  • Major or major department coursework (if the course is being used to fulfill a requirement in the major)
  • Breadth (humanities, literature, social science, natural science)
  • Foreign language (if a student has not fulfilled the BA or BS foreign language requirement)
  • Mathematics (if being used to fulfill any degree requirements or prerequisites for any major/degree requirements)
  • General Education Requirements (Communication Part A, Communication Part B, Quantitative Reasoning Part A, Quantitative Reasoning Part B, Ethnic Studies)
  • Coursework required to fulfill certificate programs
  • Directed Study courses (e.g., 199, 299, 699)
  • A student may take a maximum of sixteen (16) credits during his/her undergraduate career at UW-Madison

More detailed information can be found at what does it mean to take a course pass/fail.

See Also:

Keywords:breadth, major or major department coursework, foreign language, directed study, independent study, General Education Requirements, ethnic studies, certificate program   Doc ID:21118
Owner:Tori R.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2011-11-02 19:54 CDTUpdated:2018-08-03 15:31 CDT
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  3   4