UW-Madison Incomplete (I) Grade Information

The following section explains what it means to earn a grade of I (incomplete) for an L&S undergraduate student.

What does it mean if my instructor gives me a grade of Incomplete (I)?

An instructor will give a student a grade of Incomplete (I) only if the student was passing the class and is unable to complete the class in the semester it is offered.  In addition, the student can only have a small amount of graded work (e.g., a single paper or test) that needs to be turned in for grading in order to qualify for an incomplete.   It is up to the instructor to decide whether an Incomplete is warranted.  It is also the instructor's responsibility to assign the grade of Incomplete (I) when all grades are turned in at the end of the semester. 
Additional information can be found on the L&S Student Academic Affairs website at Incompletes and in the Guide under Incompletes.

Resources for Questions: 
L&S Student Academic Affairs: (608) 262-0617, lsdeans@saa.ls.wisc.edu
L&S Academic Advising: (608) 262-5858, advisingaas@ls.wisc.edu

See Also: