Extended Incomplete (EI) Requests in L&S
This section explains when it is appropriate for an instructor to authorize an extended incomplete for L&S undergraduate students.
Is it possible to obtain an Extended Incomplete (EI) if I need more time to finish up the work for my incomplete?It is up to an instructor to determine whether or not a student's circumstances qualifies him/her for an Extended Incomplete (EI). If a student does qualify for an Extended Incomplete, the instructor must submit a signed Grade Change Form to room 101 Ingraham Hall (L&S Academic Deans' Services) prior to the end of the fourth week of the fall or spring semester (or the appropriate deadline for a modular or summer course) for review and processing.
- The Grade Change Form which is submitted to request an Extended Incomplete (EI) must be signed by both the department chair and the instructor for the class.
- An instructor cannot request an Extended Incomplete electronically. Grade changes must be submitted via the instructor to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services for any L&S undergraduate student with an EI via a paper Grade Change Form.
- Grade Change Forms should be forwarded to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services in 101 Ingraham for L&S undergraduate students.
- Grade Change Forms cannot be delivered by the student being impacted by the grade change. The form should be delivered by the department administrator or a designated UW-Madison employee connected to the home department of instructor making the grade change request.
- If the form cannot be delivered in person, the form should be sent in a sealed envelope via Inter-D campus mail (or first-class mail) to room 101 Ingraham Hall or emailed to email@example.com for review and processing.
- If a student is granted an Extended Incomplete (EI), the student must complete and submit the remaining work prior to the end of the semester so that the final grade can be submitted and processed on the last day of the classes.
- Students should complete the work for their incomplete at least a couple of weeks before the last day of classes so the instructor has enough time to review the work and submit a final grade by the last day of classes.
- If the grade for the Extended Incomplete (EI) is not submitted for processing by the last day of classes, the Extended Incomplete will lapse to a grade of "F".
- Students cannot get multiple semesters/terms of Extended Incomplete for the same course in order to give a student several semesters/terms (two or more semesters/terms) to complete one class.
Contact the L&S Academic Dean's Office with further questions:
Phone: (608) 262-0617