KB User's Guide - Documents Tab - MS Word to KB conversion
This document contains some strategies for converting Microsoft Word documents into KB documents.
Copying and pasting from Word to the KB WYSIWYG editor seldom works seamlessly. It often pulls in a lot of extra formatting, including Microsoft-proprietary tags and attributes that could keep your text from displaying correctly in all browsers.
Rather than copying and pasting directly from an MS Word doc into the KB WYSIWYG Design editor, it is recommended that you use one of the following methods to convert the text into HTML.
- Notepad: Copy text from MS Word to Notepad. This will remove m o s t of the MS Word formatting. Next, copy the text from Notepad into KB doc and manually recreate the formatting. (In this case no HTML is generated.)
- MS Word: Use Save As in MS Word to save document as "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm; *.html)" which create a little cleaner HTML than the Web Page option, though both do contain some extraneous code.
- Dreamweaver: Copy and paste into Dreamweaver to get the HTML code and then paste the HTML code into KB doc.
- Copy MS Word Text into an HTML Cleaner: Paste your MS Word text into HTML Cleaner. Copy the cleaned HTML into the HTML editor of the KB Admin Tools. This is not seamless, check your work, there may be some reformatting that you need to do.
- Copy MS Word Tables: If you encounter a table in an MS Word document, we recommend that you copy the table into MS Excel and then copy that table code into Tableizer! Quick Spreadsheets-to-HTML Tool or other such tools.