Departmental Space Allocation

This document is an overview of procedures for allocation of space, with links to guidelines for use of instructional and other types of space on campus and within L&S.

Space allocations are made by the University Space and Remodeling Policies Committee (SRPC), which has established written guidelines for use of instructional and other types of space. The campus space policies and procedures are found on the Space Management Office website (please refer to the materials in the "Resources" tab on that site). Policies regarding assignment of classrooms are also available on that site.

Departmental space is building area that is occupied and administered exclusively by a department. Typically, this will include all departmental offices, support & storage space, meeting rooms, and classrooms and labs designated for exclusive departmental use. Departments exercise full control over these spaces, and are responsible for scheduling all functions in departmental space and maintaining security & access control. On some occasions, the Registrar's office may seek to access departmental space for classes at times of peak room usage when General Assignment rooms are not available. In this case, the Registrar's office will work with the department to gain access on a limited basis for specific class meetings.

If a faculty or staff member has identified a need for more office or lab space, the first step is to consult with the department chair/program director.  Requests for new space need to have chair/director approval prior to submission to the Dean's Office.  Space requests can be initiated via email or memo and include an explanation of the need and how current departmental space is not adequate to accommodate it.  Requests should be routed first to South Hall (c/o Chris Bruhn) for initial review.  Requests are then forwarded to the SMO and/or the SRPC as appropriate. Most changes in assignment are made during the summer for the following academic year, although needs will be considered at any time.  Space on campus -- and definitely within L&S -- is very limited.  It is important to provide as much lead time as possible when new hires, research projects, or journals are anticipated that cannot be fit into a department's existing allocation.  One way to do this is to check the space information on the transmittal form with the grant application.  Another is to contact Assistant Dean Chris Bruhn.  Both are advised.

State guidelines provide for space assignment (but do not guarantee space is available) only for employees on the University payroll. College policy is to allow departments to provide space for unfunded emeritus staff and graduate students, honorary fellows, visiting faculty, lounges, libraries, etc., only if the department can accommodate the assignment within its existing space allocation. Such assignments should necessarily be made on an ad hoc basis, and be reviewed annually to be sure the space is not needed for active payrolled employees or other needs.

KeywordsSRPC, SMO, S-1, space assigment   Doc ID21360
OwnerChris B.GroupL&S KB
Created2011-11-21 17:41:32Updated2024-02-05 16:12:36
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  0   0