PY - Earnings Code Descriptions


This document lists the Earnings Codes for University Staff (Classified) employees, Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited (FA/AS/LI) employees, and Student Hourly employees. Earnings Codes are three-character codes that specify various types of earnings. This document provides a brief description of each code as well as whether the code is used through Time & Labor/Absence Management, entered into Additional Pay, or used by the UW Service Center only. If you require further explanation, please contact the UW Service Center.

  • Earnings Codes are divided based upon employee type

Frequently Asked Questions About Additional Pay Earnings Code Usage:

  1. How are overload payments handled?
    • Earnings code UOL is used for overload payments for Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited employees who have an overall FTE greater than 1.

  2. How are honorarium payments handled with respect to earnings codes?
    • Earnings code LWR is used for honorarium/lump sum payments for Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited employees who have an overall FTE less than 1.
    • This earnings code would be applied to an employee like a guest speaker on campus or an ad-hoc program specialist.

  3. What does the No IC earnings codes description mean?
    • The No IC means No Income Code, which applies to the majority of employees.
    • Most employees fall under the No Income Code (No IC) category, unless they are international fellow/scholar (IC 16), teacher/researcher (IC 19), or study/training (IC 20).

Earnings Code Listings by Employee Type:

University Staff Employee Earnings Codes:

Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited (FA/AS/LI) Employee Earnings Codes:

Student Hourly Earnings Codes:

To the top

Keywords:earnings code additional pay payments earn code description of earnings codes No IC lump sum payments overloads add ons add-on   Doc ID:21524
Owner:Kate I.Group:Human Resource System (HRS)
Created:2011-11-30 11:50 CSTUpdated:2017-11-15 10:01 CST
Sites:Human Resource System (HRS)
Feedback:  2   10