FN - Add or Change Department Level Funding for an Appointing Department
This document shows how to add or change Department-level funding for an appointing department. Department-level funding needs to be added before the Payroll Confirmation deadline in order to take effect for the current payroll period. Note: Department level funding is sometimes referred to as "placeholder" or "default" funding.
- HRS Security Role Needed: FI Campus Funding One BU
- Department level funding is not used to fund an individual employee's salary except A96 (UW Madison). Refer to KB FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense for instructions on how to add funding for individual employees.
- When Department level funding is added, employees who do not have active appointment or position level funding will have their salary expenses (e.g. earnings, deductions, taxes) distributed to the department-level funding account codes at payroll processing time.
- Department-level funding is added once per campus, department, fiscal year, and budget level.
- Department level funding must be set up for every appointment department at every campus. The Service Center will assign a department level funding string if not set up.
- Department-level funding is used throughout the UW System campuses in a couple of ways:
1. To prevent salary funding from going to the payroll suspense funding chartfield(e.g. Fund 128, Dept PRSUSP, Program Code 1, Account 1000-Salary Default) when employees are missing Appointment or Position-level funding;2. To allow financial related functions to process when events cause processes to fail for an employee at all campuses.
3. To fund the salary expense (e.g. earnings, deductions, taxes) for every employee in the Department. This option is used only by A96.
Before this Step:
a. Obtain the necessary source document which lists department funding information (e.g. effective date, fund, department, program, project, percentage)
b. For Payroll Confirmation deadline dates, refer to the online, custom UW Payroll Calendar.
Add Department Level Funding for an Appointing Department
Note: If Department-level funding already exists for the desired fiscal year, refer to the section below, Add a New Effective Dated Funding Row to Existing Record in Same Fiscal Year.
- From the HRS main Menu, use navigation path: Set Up HCM > Product Related > Commitment Accounting > Budget Information > Budget Funding Data Entry.
- In the Funding Data Entry screen, click the Add a New Value tab.
From your source document, enter data into the required funding data entry fields for Department level funding. Required fields for adding Department Level funding include:
a. SetID (Defaults to SHARE; do not change)
b. Business Unit (Defaults to your campus)
c. Department [7-character appointing Department ID with campus alpha identifier; (e.g. B487900)]
d. Fiscal Year (4 digits)
e. Budget Level (Select Department)
- To continue to the next Funding Data Entry screen, click the Add button.
Note: If you receive a message, "The value you tried to add already exists", this means department-level funding has already been entered for this Business Unit, Appointing Department and Fiscal Year combination. (This could be due to a data entry error or the department-level funding has previously been entered). See the section below, Add a New Effective Dated Funding Row to Existing Record in Same Fiscal Year.
- The Funding Data Entry page displays for the Department.
a. Verify the appointing department, Fiscal Year, and selected budget level option (e.g. Department) are displayed.
b. In this example, the Department budget level option was selected. This means all employees in this Department will have Department-level funding distributed to their salary expenses, if they do not have active Appointment or Position level funding.
- Locate the Funding Distribution section near the bottom of the screen. Verify the Status = Active, and the Used by Distribution Process box is unchecked.
- From your source document, enter the following Department funding distribution information:
a. Effective Date - Update the effective date to equal the Budget Begin Date for the current Fiscal Year (e.g. 07/01/20xx).
- For pay period begin/end dates for Monthly paid employees and Biweekly paid employees, refer to the online UW Payroll Calendar.
- However, if the payroll period for the Budget Begin Date has already been completed and confirmed, enter a funding effective date equal to the next Pay Period Begin Date, according to the UW Payroll Calendar for the employees in the Department.
- Note: The funding Effective Date for Fiscal Year 20xx must be within the date range for the Budget Begin Date and Budget End Date, which are listed at the top of the Funding Data Entry screen.
c. Fund (3-digit fund code) Example:101
d. Dept ID (6-digit funding department number without the alpha character) Example: 487900
e. Program code (1-character Program code) Example: 2
f. Project (7-character Project/Grant ID, if applicable). Example: PRJ53BD
Note: If a Project is entered, a Project End Date column will display the ending date of the project/grant. This field is not editable. (This is the project end date; not the budget end date).
g. Distrib % (total percentage that will be expensed from this fund, department, program, etc.)
Note: In order to save properly, all percentages under the Distrib % column must total 100.
h. ERNCD (Earnings Code). Leave blank for Department level funding.
i. To add a new funding row, click the plus icon at the end of the row.
j. To delete a funding row, click the minus icon at the end of the row.
- To save the salary funding distribution data for the specified effective date, click Save. The message, Processing, will display for a few seconds in the upper right portion of the screen. This means that PeopleSoft HRS is validating the funding information entered against edit rules in place in the Shared Financial System (SFS).
a. If processing errors are detected, a message window appears, and data entry fields may display in a red color. Correct any errors found. Click Save.
Note: For more information about error messages, refer to KB FN - Resolve Error Messages on Funding Data Entry Page .
b. If no errors are found, the message, Saved displays for a few seconds in the upper right portion of the screen.
Important:The funding distribution data remains in effect until a new funding effective date/effective sequence is entered.
Navigation: Set Up HCM > Product Related > Commitment Accounting > Budget Information > Budget Funding Data Entry >Find an Existing Value.
- Enter information to find the department with the funding you wish to change, then click Search.
Note: If you receive the message, "No matching values were found" this may mean that no department level funding was entered previously for the Fiscal Year for the appointing department. If no department level funding was entered previously for The Fiscal Year for the appointing department, select the Add a New Value tab. (see above).
- Click the plus icon, located within the Budget Data section.
- When a new effective dated funding row is added:
a. The new Effective Date field displays first, and the previous funding information (e.g. 07/01/20xx) is historical. The Budget Data section scroll area indicates 1 of 2 to reflect the data
Note: You can click the View All link to display all current and historical information vertically.
b. Funding distribution data from the previous record (e.g. 07/01/20xx) is copied to the new record.c. In the new Effective Date field, update the effective date to when the new department funding information takes effect (e.g. 03/01/20xx).
d. The Eff Seq (effective sequence) field indicates 0 for the first entry, 1 for the second entry, etc., for multiple changes entered with the same funding effective date.
e. Modify funding distribution information, as needed. (Refer to Steps 7-8 above).
- Click Save.
You have successfully added department-level funding for employee payroll expenses, which will only be used when an employee in the appointment department does not have active Appointment or Position-level funding in place.
- FN - Add or Change Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense
- FN - Add or Change Position Level Funding for Employees' Salary Expense (used only by A80)
- FN - Salary Funding Levels Assigned During Payroll Processing
- FN - Salary Funding Lifecycle for Payroll Processing
- FN - Run the Employee Funding Summary Report
- FN - Run the Funding Change Report