How to pay using UW Foundation Funds
Overview of how to pay using UW Foundation Funds, including the use of the UW Foundation Check Request form.
| Please note: if your expense can be paid by UW, you must pay it through
UW channels, using UW funding. UW Foundation should only be used to pay
expenses that cannot be paid by UW.
Examples of expenses that UW won't cover are: alcohol, the portion of meal costs over the state maximum, and expenses related to advancement, development and alumni activities. Click here for more info on UWF allowability.
Need to pay a vendor with UW Foundation Funds?
- Use the UW Foundation Check Request. Login, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, select "Check/ACH request" from the pull down menu.
- Fill out the online form as directed, print and get a Chair/Director signature.
- Attach same documentation you would for a payment through UW.
- Submit original signed copy to Mary Machaj at 408 South Hall via campus mail..
Need to pay an individual with UW Foundation Funds, or with a combination of UW Foundation and UW funds?
- Use e-Reimbursement to create the reimbursement report.
- The approver will apply UW Foundation funding after the reimbursee/alternate submits the report. You may need to let the approver know what UWF fund to use.
- Retain the same documentation you normally would for any e-Reimbursement report.
Meal Limit: UW Foundation will pay up to $100/person for hosted meals.
If UW is paying state maximum, UW Foundation will pay the difference up to $100/person.
UW Foundation will pay for reasonable amounts of alcohol within the per person limit.
MISCELLANEOUS ALLOWABLE FOUNDATION EXPENSES
- Fundraising, Alumni and Donor events can only be paid by UW Foundation.
- Receptions at someone's home are paid on UW Foundation funds; regular UW funds will not pay.
- If reception includes non-department visitors, regular UW Foundation fund can pay.
- If only dept personnel attended, only a departmental UW Foundation Community fund can pay.
- Faculty candidate second visits are not paid by UW, only UW Foundation can pay.
- L&S allows one departmental retreat on regular UW Foundation funds per semester.
- L&S allows one student party per year (e.g. A kick off event in fall, an end of year send off in May) on regular UW Foundation funds.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Always supply a UW business reason for the payment.
- If there is no UW business reason, the activity cannot be paid by regular UW Foundation funds.
- If it's a social event, it may be payable by a Department's UW Foundation Community fund.
- You cannot buy a gift or gift cards with Foundation funds.
- We are stewards of our Foundation funds, we must use them properly. Ask yourself:
- How does this purchase fit with the donor's intentions?
- What would happen in everyone in L&S made this same purchase?
- How would this purchase look on the front page of the paper?
Forms:GIFT CHECK ROUTING FORM
UW FOUNDATION 1848 University Avenue, 263-4545
UW Foundation Advancement Resources
ACCOUNTING SERVICES: 21 N. Park St. Suite 6101, 262-1214
http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/acct.html Gifts: http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/gifts/gifts.html
RSP: 21 N. Park St. Suite 6401, 262-3822
http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/ Gifts: http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/gifts/index.html
L&S: Mary Machaj, 408 South Hall, 263-2316, email@example.com
Please send forms to Mary Machaj, 408 South Hall
- Original, no copies necessary.
- No staples, use clips. We have to copy everything you send, so clips make it easy to copy.
- Blue ink signature preferred.
- Questions? Contact Mary Machaj, 263-2316 or Ben Ball, 265-1170, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transferring Funds from UW Foundation to 233- Projects
- UW Foundation Overview
- Depositing Gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects
- How to clear overdrafts on 233-gift accounts
- Frequently Asked Questions about University Policies Related to UW Foundation Gifts and Other Accounts
- Gift Acknowledgment
- UW Foundation Accounting Structure, 2014
- UW Foundation Community Funds
- UW FOUNDATION GUIDE TO ALLOWABLE EXPENSES