Depositing Gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects

Overview of depositing gifts into UW Foundation Funds and 233- Projects, including how to determine if it is a gift, and whether it goes to UW Foundation or a UW 233- Project.

The UW receives money from many sources and in many forms.  Grants from a sponsor are 144- or 133- funds, not gift money.  If you think you have a donation, then you'll need to determine if it truly is a gift, and then process it either as a deposit to a departmental account at the UW Foundation or as a deposit directly into a 233- project.

Is it a Gift or Grant?

It's a GRANT if the giver requires detailed financial reports reports, claims rights, applies restrictions, expects specific deliverables, sets an end date, and/or can take back the money.

It's a GIFT if the money is unrestricted, for general purposes, and is irrevocable.

***Temporary GIFT Submission Guideline as of March 16, 2020 (COVID-19 Pandemic) ***

To accommodate working remotely, we are accepting electronic signature and/or email confirmation in lieu of ink signatures. The same documentation is needed, however, the submission process has been adjusted.

- Gift checks made out to the UW Foundation or a specific Foundation fund for deposit should be mailed directly to UW Foundation lockbox with a completed UW Foundation Gift Deposit Form. Please email a copy of the form (and check, if possible but not required) to Please include the Request # and department in the subject line of the email.

UW Foundation
U.S. Bank Lockbox 78807
Milwaukee, WI 53278-0807

- Gift checks made out to a department (233 deposit) should be mailed directly to Accounts Payable with a Routing Form.  Email an additional electronically signed or email approved Routing Form to
Accounts Payable
21 N Park
Suite 5301
Madison, WI

See Also: