D2L - Adding Tools to Course Navigation Bar (UW-Madison)
The Learn@UW Navigation Bar gives users access to all of the various tools such as content, discussion, and grades. For this reason, any time an instructor wishes to use a tool in Learn@UW, they must first add it to the Navigation Bar.
Creating a New Navigation Bar
Video overview of using the Navbar
1. Start by clicking on Course Admin in the drop-down menu in the navigation bar, and then Edit Course.
2. Click on Navigation & Themes.
3. Click on Create Navbar. You must create a new navigation bar in order to add tools. Alternately, you can edit a navigation bar you have already created by click on its name.
4. Enter a name and (optionally) a description which you will use to identify your new Navigation bar.
5. If desired, click on Change Theme. Themes determine the overall look and feel of your course. Each theme shows a preview of the layout, along with a name and a description. Often, each theme will also show the date it was created. When possible, use the most current themes for your course. Click to select a theme and then click update.
6. The navigation bar links are divided into four separate areas.
a. To add a tool to a particular area, click Add Links in that section. A list of available tools will appear.
i. Click on the checkboxes next to the desired tool(s) to select them, then click Add.
b. To add a custom link (i.e. to an external website), click Create Custom Link.
ii. Enter a name, icon (optional), description (optional) and a URL for the link, or click on Quicklink to add a link to a particular file or resource.c. You can also add a link group to the navigation bar to create a new drop-down menu. For instructions, see Document 24884 is unavailable at this time. .
iii. When finished, click Create.
7. When finished configuring the new navigation bar, click Save and Close. The new navigation bar will appear in the list of available navigation bars.
Activating a Navigation Bar
If you accidentally deleted the "Course Admin" dropdown or "Edit Course" from your Navbar, it is possible to get those back.
Hover your cursor over the Navbar. On the far left, two small icons will appear, a gear and a pencil. Clicking on the small gear icon will bring you back to the Manage Navigation and Themes page. Follow directions found above (step 6) to add Course Admin or Edit Course back to your Navbar.