D2L - Modifying the Course Navbar Banner Color or Image (UW-Madison)
This document provides information on the ability of UW-Madison instructors to modify the color of the Course Navbar. For a description of how to add tools to the Navbar, please see D2L - Adding Tools to Course Navbar.
When a course is created in D2L, the course Navbar is determined by the default course Navbar template.
Each Navbar template contains links, as well as what is known as a "theme." The theme controls the color, images, and layout of the Navbar, as well as the course homepage background "look and feel." Instructors can change the Navbar appearance, as well as the course homepage background, by selecting a different theme when creating or editing a Navbar. There are a number of theme choices in D2L from which to choose. However, instructors cannot create or edit themes.
To change your course Navbar theme:
1. Click on the Course Admin drop-down menu in the navigation bar, then select Edit Course.
2. Select Navigation & Themes. On the Navbars page, you will see a list of your navigation bars. Your active navbar is the one selected in the Active Navbar dropdown list.
3. If you would like to change the theme in your active navbar, find the navbar in the list on the Navbars page, click the little arrow next to the title, then select Copy. Click on navbar name to enter the Edit page. NOTE: You can also create an entirely new navbar. To do this, click the Create Navbar button.
4. Enter a name for your navbar and then click the Change Theme button.
5. From the Select New Theme pop-up window, choose the desired theme. When finished, click the Update button.
6. Click the Save and Close button to save your changes.
7. To change the active navbar and apply your changes, select your new navbar from the Active Navbar dropdown list and click Apply. Your new navbar should appear at the top of your course.