Recruitment of Non-Instructional and Renewable Instructional Academic Staff Appointments
This document contains policies, procedures and links to documents for recruitment of non-instructional and renewable instructional appointments.
Academic staff members are engaged in a very broad range of activities and are employed under a wide variety of titles. Visiting, adjunct, emeritus, L/I faculty and lecturers are all considered academic staff, as are faculty assistants. However, the majority of academic staff appointments in our College are either instructional, research, administrative, outreach, student services, communication, information technology, or library services. The information below applies to the recruitment of non-instructional and renewable instructional appointments. Questions regarding recruitment of fixed term-terminal instructional positions (STS) should be directed to Amanda Mahr. Questions regarding faculty recruitment should be directed to Ben Weisse.
1. Submit a PVL or PVL Waiver via the JEMS PVL System. Please note that PVLs are not required for zero dollar, emeritus and volunteer appointments. If you are not authorized for the pvl system, please contact Alisha Arnold. Ensure "How to Apply" section reflects that applicants will need to upload a cover letter, resume and three professional references including current supervisor.
2. The following forms may be needed and should be emailed to your HR Rep.
- Positions on 101, 104, 131, or 402 funds require the submission of an Essential Hire Form and an organizational chart indicating names and official titles.
- All new positions require approval of your Associate Dean
- All position require submission of an organizational chart showing official title, e.g. Researcher, and employee name
- Departments submitting a PVL for a rehired annuitant must also submit the Rehired Annuitant Request Form.
- All pvl waivers require the submission of a C.V.
You will receive an email from the PVL System as soon as your PVL is "Comp and Title Approved". Once your pvl is approved, you will need to login to TREMS to create a job posting in order for the position to be released on the employment web for open recruitment.
Always refer to the links at the bottom of the email for the most up to date information and forms. The forms include the Steps in Hire, sample letters, and Office of Equity and Diversity information.
Please keep the following in mind when recruiting for an academic staff position:
- The following hard-coded text has been removed from all pvl postings: "Unless another application procedure has been specified above, please send resume and cover letter referring to Position Vacancy Listing XX to"
Moving forward, please put applications instructions in the "additional application procedure" box in your PVL.
1. For all new (a "new" position is one that does not replace duties previously performed by an academic staff or classified employee) Category A academic staff positions, the tab labeled "Cat A" must be completed in the online pvl system.
2. A Recruitment Effort Plan (REP) is required when a position is under utilized (see the salary panel in pvl). Positions with a maximum salary above the range 8 minimum will require at least a four-week recruitment. Positions with a salary range below the range 8 minimum will require at least a two-week recruitment. The University has arranged for all of our job postings to be publicized in several publications which are already populated in the pvl. You do not need to submit an advertisement to these publications. This ensures Affirmative Action compliance of all open positions at UW-Madison. Please do not remove these publications from the REP.
Once you have selected a candidate, please email a draft appointment letter (refer to Letter Templates for Academic and University Staff Appointments for instructions on this process) and a C.V. to your HR Rep. A CBC (Criminal Background Check) will be conducted by the College and the salary will be reviewed and approved by L&S Human Resources. If you make a verbal offer to your candidate prior to approval of your letter and salary, please make sure that the candidate is aware that the offer is contingent upon a CBC and that a salary has not yet been set.
Please note that the recruitment file is the responsibility of the administrative contact. Search committee chairs need to work closely with this person to make sure the recruitment file is complete.
Talent Recruitment and Engagement Toolkit (sample communication letters, advertising agreements, procedures after hire, etc.)
For questions on recruiting, please contact your HR Rep.
Criminal Background Check (CBC) Policy (CBCs for non-instructional and instructional renewable appointments will be conducted by the College upon submission of the appointment letter questionnaire)