Is it possible for an L&S undergraduate to earn retrocredits?

The following section explains the requirements for an undergraduate at UW-Madison to earn retrocredits in a foreign language.

The College of Letters & Science will award degree credit for foreign language work if the student demonstrates proficiency by completing a UW-Madison foreign language course beyond the first unit, with a grade of B or better, within their first year or first 30 credits. 

A student does not earn retroactive credits by taking a placement test or other exam.

Students who qualify for retroactive credits (retrocredits) after completing the appropriate language course on the UW-Madison campus will automatically receive retrocredits approximately two to three months after all grades have been posted for all students. This benefit is available to first-year students, and can be exercised when the following conditions are met:

  • The course must be a student's first course at the college level in the language. This does not include college-level coursework taken during high school, but does include courses transferred from another institution where a student was working towards an undergraduate degree or courses taken after graduating from high school but before a student started their formal undergraduate students at UW-Madison.
    • The course must be designated as retrocredit eligible.  These courses are designated with the course designation "Frgn Lang" of 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th semester language course.
    • A student must take the course before he/she has earned 30 degree credits. This does not include AP, CLEP, IB, or other college credit earned in high school, nor does it include retroactive credits earned in another language. It does include courses transferred from another institution where you were working toward a degree.
    •  A student must earn a B or better in the class.
    •  The student is not a native speaker of the language taught in the retrocredit eligible course.  
  • Students may earn retrocredits in more than one language as long as they are within the 30-credit/first year timeframe.  A maximum 16 retro-credits may be earned in any single language.  Credits will be awarded equivalent to the UW-Madison course credit values in that language.

  • Retro-credits will be posted automatically to students' records, except in some rare cases.  Students who think they deserve retrocredits but who did not receive them should inquire with their school/college Academic Affairs office.  (See below)

Please note:

  • Retroactive credits (retrocredits) will not be posted automatically for students who have already earned retrocredits.   If students are still eligible to earn retrocredits and wishes to receive retrocredits for another language(s),  they will need to fill out the Retroactive Language Credit Request Form and deliver it to L&S Undergraduate Academic Deans' Services in 110 Ingraham Hall to be reviewed if they are an L&S undergraduate student.
  •  UW-Madison will honor retroactive credits earned at another institution provided that these credits were earned according to UW-Madison policy.  Student will need to work with the Office of Admissions and Recruitment at UW-Madison to make sure the retro-credits from the other institution get posted to their official UW-Madison records.

For more information, please refer to Retroactive Credits and Retroactive Credits by Languages.

Keywords:retrocredits, retroactive credits, foreign language courses, removing retrocredits, rescinding retrocredits   Doc ID:23736
Owner:Tori R.Group:College of Letters & Science
Created:2012-04-11 23:18 CDTUpdated:2018-04-18 16:23 CDT
Sites:College of Letters & Science
Feedback:  0   0