This document describes how to use CCleaner for Windows system maintenance. CCleaner is a free product that removes temporary files and invalid registry entries.
Important: CCleaner does NOT remove viruses or malware. If you think your machine is infected, Get Help from DoIT.
Removing unwanted and temporary files
- Download CCleaner from the manufacturer's website. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
- Run the installer and follow the prompts. CCleaner will automatically launch after you click Finish.
- From the main screen, click analyze to search for potentially unwanted files. Click Run Cleaner to remove these files.
Fixing registry issues
- Click the Registry tab on the right side.
- Click Scan for Issues.
- Click Fix selected issues.
- Uninstall: You can use this tool to uninstall programs that you are unable to remove with Windows uninstaller.
- Startup: This tools allows you to disable and remove items from your startup menu. Disabling startup items helps your computer boot and run faster.
- File Finder: A search utility that allows you to search by name, size, modified date and content. You can also exclude unwanted search results. (e.g. Ignore hidden files)
- System Restore: Manages your system restore points. Note: You must have System restore turned on to use this tool.
- Drive Wiper: This tools allows you to securely wipe hard drives. You can choose to wipe free space only (deleted files), or the entire drive with four different security levels. (up to 35 passes)